IGNORED

70 240z parked 15 years, brakes stuck

z8987

That was after at least an hour of heating, soaking, and hammering. In one of the pics you can see a pipe under the car. I was using a sledge hammer on the opposite side of the car to hit the pipe which was against the fins on the drum. Cutting the drum off was the only way I could get the car to move. There was no way I was going to be defeated!

In the past I’ve been able to drill / tap a couple m8x1.25 holes 180* from each other, then use the bolts to push against the hub while forcing the drum back. Just alternate slowly between the two bolts, and some hammering in between to help break it free. It may not work in all cases but I would definitely try that before cutting. 

I had one that had bonded the shoes to the drum. After a lot of frustration and no success, I screwed the lugnuts on flush with the stud ends and with the help of a 4 lb. hammer and several blocks of wood the studs came out. That allowed me to tip the drum back and forth and finally break it free from the shoes.

14 hours ago, Jeff G 78 said:

Depending on how bad they are, it might require drastic measures.  I had one rusty old 280Z parts car that had been stored for about a decade and the drums were so seized on that I had to cut the drums in two.  Even then, they were a bear to pry off.

Hopefully it doesn't come to this!  Good luck.

DSC_1150.JPG
DSC_1155.JPGDSC_1156.JPGDSC_1158.JPGDSC_1157.JPG
DSC_1160.JPG

DSC_1152.JPG

How long was that Z at the bottom of the ocean Jeff?      I think I would “jack up the radiator cap and put a new car under it!”   

Edited by Diseazd

On 2/7/2019 at 4:59 AM, Zup said:

As @Patcon suggested work on the adjusters and try to make sure they are retracted.

Keep it up with the block of hardwood and big f'in hammer. They can be a bear to remove, but should eventually break free. I hope you don't damage the fins--the finned cast aluminum drums are another neat aspect of our Z's.

I got one off. Now the other side.  Do you access the adjuster through the hole in the front of the wheel? 

18 minutes ago, Diseazd said:

How long was that Z at the bottom of the ocean Jeff?      I think I would “jack up the radiator cap and put a new car under it!”   

LOL.  I bought the car in 1992 for $500 as a beater/parts car and drove it for about six months before parking it in my dad's garage.  Over the years, the garage roof rotted and leaked near where the car was parked so the garage was really damp all the time.  He built a nice new pole barn in about 2001 and the car was dragged (due to the locked rear brakes) into the new garage at that time.  I decided to retrieve the car in 2009 as a donor car for my race car build.  We stripped the good parts and cut the car up for scrap metal a few weeks after these pics were taken.  When we cut the car up, the RH side of the firewall was so rotten that we didn't even have to cut it.  The car literally had no good metal from the windshield to behind the seat on the RH side.  

Here's how bad the rot actually was in the car.  From the outside, it didn't look all that bad, but the underside looked like it had been on the Titanic.

DSC_1161.JPGDSC_1123.JPGDSC_1169.JPG