IGNORED

70 240z parked 15 years, brakes stuck

z8987

My brakes are stuck.  I’ve pulled the rear tires off, and I’m trying to get the wheels off to look at the brakes.  I’m using a rubber mallet and a block of wood, along with spraying wd40 and carb cleaner where I can to try to break things loose.  Any ideas on a better way to do this.  I’m thinking that ATF might be a better product to break things loose. ??? 

As @Patcon suggested work on the adjusters and try to make sure they are retracted.

Keep it up with the block of hardwood and big f'in hammer. They can be a bear to remove, but should eventually break free. I hope you don't damage the fins--the finned cast aluminum drums are another neat aspect of our Z's.

• Like 1

Once you get the drums off if you decide you need to replace the wheel cylinders you might find this thread of help. The wheel cylinders for that car are very expensive, but can be replaced with the much cheaper ones on the slightly later cars.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Patcon said:

If the drums have lots of wear, that produces a ridge of metal that makes it very difficult to remove them. It gets much easier if you get the adjusters to move.

Usually it's a two part problem.  This is the second part.  If you can get them to spin then spinning and pulling at the same time can get you started over the ridge.  It's tedious and difficult.  Pull, spin, wobble, pound....

Heat the brake drum between the wheel studs to brake the rust that forms there, you need to get it pretty hot,  penetrating oil will help also.   Backing off the brake shoes will greatly help if possible.  The fins are delicate use a block of wood between the hammer and drum.  Lastly keep at it, it took several cycles of heat and banging on them in my case.

Edited by jwtaylor

Depending on how bad they are, it might require drastic measures.  I had one rusty old 280Z parts car that had been stored for about a decade and the drums were so seized on that I had to cut the drums in two.  Even then, they were a bear to pry off.

Hopefully it doesn't come to this!  Good luck.

DSC_1150.JPG
DSC_1155.JPGDSC_1156.JPGDSC_1158.JPGDSC_1157.JPG
DSC_1160.JPG

DSC_1152.JPG

Edited by Jeff G 78