IGNORED

KONI Sports for Classic Z's

11 hours ago, Nils said:

My old KYB Excel G's are aroung 10mm shorter than the new Konis.

This part seems most relevant.  KYB has been around a long time and probably has it right.  10 mm is about 3/8 inch.

You could have a new gland nut made.  The gap is just to make sure that nut is clamping the insert and hasn't bottomed out on the strut housing.  Make a new gland nut that has longer threads.  If you want to make it work.  But it seems like the Konis might have a problem.  Wonder what other people are seeing.

Actually gentlemen those numbers are correct. The KYB's have always been about 10mm shorter. The Koni's are actually the proper length. This is based on a cartridge Koni has used for 50 years.

We know of numerous installs already on 240Z fronts that have lined up correctly. Our test pilot Hector has the same strut housing numbers you mentioned on his 240Z and they installed correctly.

Even though it sounds as if you have the proper height struts in the front (based on the comparison to the KYB's), please confirm for us the numbers on the Koni cartridges you just received, as well as that measurement of the strut cartridge body. Please also include if you can read them any numbers on the KYB's, .

Greg has been dismantling 240Z's since the early 80's, and he added that in addition to the often occurrence of somebody putting a spacer at the bottom, that also he has seen numerous times where oil and dirt in the housing have combined over the years to literally make its own 'spacer' of sorts. He said he has had to at times in the past literally dig years of near solid junk out the bottom of the strut housing.

The only other possibility (assuming the numbers and height check out after you send that to us) would be strut housing modification, which sounds unlikely in your case, but just to be certain, if you can measure the height of the strut housing as well (outside), we'll confirm that too.

Sorry you're having an issue, we'll get it figured out!

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Nils said:

They are just a little too long for the gland nut to reach the threads in the housing. Reaching the 1-4mm required gap is not possible.

Another question might be "which gland nut is being used?"  Do the Koni's come with a Koni gland nut?  The KYB's come with their own nut.  Maybe KYB gland nuts don't work on Koni's.

hey guys. i purchased a set of these for my 72 240z along with the Eibach springs that MSA recommended. i have a good bit of experience working on cars and have owned 5 Z's but never tackled this particular project before. i am slightly confused by the instructions as they are only pictures. i know these are a new product but if anyone has an installation video they could link me to i would appreciate it. at the very least, if someone could tell me what fluid step #4 shows being poured into the strut tube. thanks!

Edited by DangerBoy703

22 minutes ago, DangerBoy703 said:

hey guys. i purchased a set of these for my 72 240z along with the Eibach springs that MSA recommended. i have a good bit of experience working on cars and have owned 5 Z's but never tackled this particular project before. i am slightly confused by the instructions as they are only pictures. i know these are a new product but if anyone could has an installation video they could link me to i would appreciate it. at the very least, if someone could tell me what fluid step #4 shows being poured into the strut tube. thanks!

https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=240z+front+strut+replacement&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8  Should be something there you can use.

The strut fluid is covered in the factory service manual under "Front Axle & Front Suspension", FA26 through FA40. Also important is the gland nut tensioning, and air bleeding.

The fluid called for in the FSM is Nissan genuine oil (Nisseki Shock Absorber Oil A-1) at the correct amount of 290cc per strut. I think ATF is what most use now. Ford or Chevy type, does not matter. 

I think the fluid is intended to dissipate heat, and prevent corrosion. 

45 minutes ago, DangerBoy703 said:

hey guys. i purchased a set of these for my 72 240z along with the Eibach springs that MSA recommended. i have a good bit of experience working on cars and have owned 5 Z's but never tackled this particular project before. i am slightly confused by the instructions as they are only pictures. i know these are a new product but if anyone could has an installation video they could link me to i would appreciate it. at the very least, if someone could tell me what fluid step #4 shows being poured into the strut tube. thanks!

Any engine oil will do. Only use 50ml. Thrown on some grease on the bottom of the strut as well if you'd like. 

Don't use what the above poster mentioned. That's for original wet legs.

56 minutes ago, DangerBoy703 said:

if someone could tell me what fluid step #4 shows being poured into the strut tube. thanks!

Many replacement strut manufacturers recommend no oil added.  It serves no real purpose and just makes things messy.  Not sure why they have that in their instructions.  Probably better off to smear the body with anti-seize.

Here's a similar Koni-in-a-tube setup with instructions from Koni, no oil added.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=11&v=PXSnNZt3NiI

image.png

1 minute ago, Zed Head said:

Many replacement strut manufacturers recommend no oil added.  It serves no real purpose and just makes things messy.  Not sure why they have that in their instructions.  Probably better off to smear the body with anti-seize.

Here's a similar Koni-in-a-tube setup with instructions from Koni, no oil added.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=11&v=PXSnNZt3NiI

image.png

that is the same picture that came with the Koni yellows i just unpacked today. so do i, or do i not, put anything in the tube?