IGNORED

S30 Half-shaft Disassembly and Rebuild

wheee!

Hi wheee!

I'm doing the same thing as you but I can't for the life of me slide the two halfs back together with all the ball bearing and spacers present.

It will always bind and get stuck. Like some bearings are to big or some tolerances are not quite right. It also took a LOT of force to pull them apart because the bearings with get stuck.

Did yours slide in and out easily? Because I'm starting to think something is not right with mine..

Thnx

Reinier

• 9 months later...

@wheee! how much play is there with it fully assembled?  In essence, how far can I pull shaft apart if I yank from both ends?  If I’m correct, the cap/clip will eventually stop me from pushing it together.

NOTE:  if I remove the cap/clip I can push them together pretty easy.  Pulling them apart is hard but doable until the end of the shaft is inside the case about one inch and then hard stops.

5E753708-6027-46C9-A05F-884D690D688B.jpeg

Edited by wadelester

The FSM says apply 1.23 oz. to the area shown in the diagram.  The diagram is a bit tricky, but it looks like I apply 1.23 oz. to the entire channel where the balls and spacers go.  I think I likely used more grease than that.  Thx again.

12 hours ago, wadelester said:

@Reinier did you ever get your half shaft sliding freely?  I’m having the same problem.

@wadelester In the end I got another set of half shafts and rebuild those. They slid together very easy so there was definitely something wrong with the first set.

Edited by Reinier