IGNORED

Barn find 73 in North Alabama

outlawswine

Just looked at the pics, that is in great shape for 25 yrs parked, some soap and water would bring back most of the interior. For me that would be a keeper, as soon as you sell it you're going to kick yourself.  As a mechanic you already know that engine is going to need some TLC to get it going but with 35,000 miles it is just broken in.

If you do decide to keep it there is a small army of guys willing to help with any problems that come up.

Edited by grannyknot
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, outlawswine said:

That is something the wife and I will need to address. Time and money right now are at a premium because we are in the middle of opening a new brewery and distillery. All time right now is spent on beer and whiskey.

Is it a pub type brewery?  Awesome place to display a Z.  Have it behind some glass, a work-in-progress.  People could come down just to check it out.

Be careful with those tires.  They look ready to blow.

Just now, Zed Head said:

Is it a pub type brewery?  Awesome place to display a Z.  Have it behind some glass, a work-in-progress.  People could come down just to check it out.

Be careful with those tires.  They look ready to blow.

It is a pub type. Brewery/distillery/winery/restaurant/entertainment venue. All the above. LOL. It started out as a small little venture but now it has turned into an 8500 sq ft nightmare. 

Yeah, the tires are horrible. The left front blew hard when we took it off the rollback. I have the original wheels and hubcaps so I'm going to get some used tires to stick on them just so I can move it around the garage.

11 minutes ago, NVZEE said:

Round tops - on an 11/72 build. There are signs of a re-spray. This car might have some stories to tell.

You are 100% correct.  I spoke with my uncle last night and apparently he was the one that purchased the care new and sold it to my grandfather in 1982. The car was resprayed at some point because my granddad didn't think it was "shiny enough".  This is according to my uncle. I'm hoping to get the whole story with this car soon. It looks like the plot thickens.... :)

Edited by outlawswine

Wow. I'd love to find something like that in my barn! Of course, I'd have to get a barn first, but... Details.

Do you have documentation to support the 35K original miles claim? And do you have any pics of the underside? With all the rust on the stuff on the top side, I'd be most interested in what's going on underneath.

I gotta get a barn...  LOL 

• Like 1

Cool find. Your decision is completely dependent on what you want and what you have time, money and motivation you have for a project. Do you want it to be a daily driver, a weekend cruiser? Old cars take time and space so you need to see if it fits your lifestyle and family situation now. I had wanted a project for the past 20+ years but with family, career, finances it was just not possible. I had too many other competing priorities. I bought a 280z after I retired from 24 yrs in the military and was ready and had time to tackle it. I’ve had lots of cool cars in the past that I wish I kept but you CAN’T keep them all. I had a 75 MGB, a 93 RX-7 and 69 Pontiac Malibu. I liked all of them but let them go for other priorities like reliable cars for work and family. The only one I really wish I kept was the 93 RX-7. You can always find your dream car in the future, you might pay more but I’ve learned it’s cheaper to pay for a car already redone than doing it yourself. If you love this car and have time and desire, then keep it. If you just thinks it’s okay, they you might not have the enduring motivation to see if through it’s resurrection, and you be throwing money at something you don’t love. If you think something else is more your preference then sell it and use the money for your other ventures until the time is right and then get exactly what your want. It’s had to throw $$ and time at something your don’t really love.
I bought a 280z over a 240z mostly because of it higher availability in the marketplace. Other smaller factors were: less rust issues, increased design refinement of S30 to include engine, differential, tranny, accessories and reliability etc. I still love the look of the 240 over the 280 but minus the bumpers and changes in lights and badging it’s almost unnoticeable to the untrained eye.
I’m always on the look out for a 240z. I wanna be like cliff (Siteunseen) and have both. I’m in the process of building a 5 car garage to fit my toys.
If you decide to sell it, there are folks on this forum including me that would be interested. If you keep it, then enjoy it and take the advice of the people on this forum, they’ll lead you in the right direction. Good luck with the Brewery...it’s something I have always thought would be cool to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Zup said:

Interesting that the round tops are the early 4 screw version.

I'm thinking 135,000 on the clock.

I don't know much about these cars yet, so I'll have to look up the 4 screw version to see what you are talking about. I'm just now reading up on the different types of carbs these things came with.

It's definitely 35K original. Proving that will be hard though without documentation. I can remember growing up that this thing was only driven once in a blue moon and then it was parked in the barn somewhere around 1992.