IGNORED

dash restoration

26th-Z

Originally posted by biker

Hi mdbrandy

Will get back to you over the next week or so. Have to wait for an excuse to be able to drive my car to work and justify the parking expnses.

Biker

Sounds good. Like I said, right now a week is nothing to me :classic: I'm in the first month of what is undoubtedly a year+ long project just to get it back on the road. And as we know, a lifelong project after that...:love:

I'm not in a huge hurry either. But, I do know that this is a VERY ideal solution for people that need to have something done about the dash-cracks. Me? I found a brand new dash from Nissan. Cost me $750. It was a left-over dash from that 240z restoration project Nissan put on a few years ago.

One of my major questions for them is will they duplicate the details of my very early dash. I'm not planning on being really anal about every detail of the car, but I want to keep as much of it original as I can. If they just use a generic 240Z dash mould, they probably won't get the details right. But then again, a dash cap probably doesn't get the details right either. But that's a question yet to be asked...

What these guys do is actually make a 'correct' mold replicating the dash you send them. So don't remove the damaged vinyl, just send the whole thing to them and they will...to quote..."restore" your exact dash with all spacefic detail.

Ah - excellent! I was just talking to some body guys here about doing some of the welding that'll be needed on the car, I'm ordering stuff from Charlie Osborne at Zedd Findings tomorrow, and if this dash thing comes together, things are looking up! It's only money, right? :classic: Thanks for the info.

Thanks everyone for the discussion about the dash restoration company in Australia. I just contacted them ( www.dashboardrestorations.com.au ) about my dash and they said: send the dash with fittings, gauges, vents, etc. to the Vancouver, Washington bulk shipper and they would send it to Austrailia - six weeks - $582 US. Check out their website and fill out the form - they contacted me the next day. They also said they were shipping first week of July.

Whoa!! Wait a minute. They said send it with all the guages still in tact? Wiring harness, too? That's a DEAL!! Sounds like they will take out all the inside components, refresh the dash, and put it all back together again?

Hell, that's even better.

Check out the website. What they do is vacu-form a new skin and they have to cut out the holes for the gauges and vents and stuff. They want the accessories for the fit. For the particular restoration - like mine - the dash is original and not generic. I think the only thing someone might nit-pick is the texture of the finish.