IGNORED

Re keying door locks

grannyknot

3 hours ago, Jason240z said:

the early cars didn't share the same key for ignition and locks.

I know, I have an early car now. Apparently the OP's car also doesn't share the same key for all locks either.

To tell the truth, I don't lock my car. I figure whatever gets stolen from inside my car is cheaper than trying to find a replacement for a broken window. About the only place it gets parked outside my garage is at car shows or fun runs.

My 73 240Z had one key for all locks.

Edited by w3wilkes

On ‎1‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 5:41 AM, dutchzcarguy said:

Oh.. so easy… if you're a handyman(!) ..  Take apart the non working locks.. take your key that works on everything else.. now put that key in the non working lock..(after you have taken it apart..) now look at the plates (about 4 ?) change the plates from place, so they are flat with the surface or almost.. now if you have made the combination as flat as possible take a grinder and grind them flat on the round cilinder.. can be done with a file but a grinder go's faster and easyer.. now put your locks together again…   Can't believe i tell these secrets!  ? 

I have several locks that need attention and would really appreciate some guidance on how take them apart.  Thanks.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, jfa.series1 said:

I have several locks that need attention and would really appreciate some guidance on how take them apart.  Thanks.

I tried to follow dutchxcarguy's advise but found on the two door locks that you can't take them apart without prying up and destroying the SS lock cover. But after farting around with them for a couple of hours I found the key did in fact work if I inserted the key all the way in and then pulled it out 1/8th of an inch.

This past Monday, I had a locksmith rekey the hatch lock to match the rest of the locks.  They took it apart and reassembled with no adverse cosmetic effects to the as cover.   Some times, I have recognize that experience is the way to go, so I did not attempt the rekeying myself.  Took 30 minutes and cost $45.00

Edited by David F
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, grannyknot said:

I tried to follow dutchxcarguy's advise but found on the two door locks that you can't take them apart without prying up and destroying the SS lock cover. But after farting around with them for a couple of hours I found the key did in fact work if I inserted the key all the way in and then pulled it out 1/8th of an inch.

I've done a number of locks now, and really the only PITA locks are the door locks because of that cover.  It's called a "face cap", and there are special tools (face cap pliers) available to bend the lip up and take the cap off. After you remove the face cap, it's easy to rekey the locks and then crimp the cover back into place. I've done this a couple times now and actually made myself a crude version of face cap pliers and I can now do it relatively easily.

The cap on the hatch locks is easy to get off, and the ignition and glove box locks don't have caps like that.

dutchxcarguy's thing is a cheap workaround. Kinda like grinding your valve lash pads to fit instead of buying and installing the correct parts. I don't think I would endorse such a modification, but maybe only because I didn't think of it.  LOL

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Captain Obvious said:

dutchxcarguy's thing is a cheap workaround.

Mmmm.. i've got a new name...  maybe in april i change name Haha, that's when my 280zx slick top will be ready..  (or i'll have to ***** my painter… just kidding..)

On topic, the facia of the doorlocks are removable with some clockmakers screwdrivers (yes the small ones.)  later on you have some work to close them again.. but it can be done.