IGNORED

Patton Machine Fuel Injection

SteveJ

Anyone know if those 3 screw adapters from Patton Machine can be made to fit/work in 4 screw bodies?  I know the mounting screws are an issue, but what else? I like the idea the original carb look with injectors hidden in them.

Edited by jwtaylor
added more

They really won't look like original carburetors. The plates go in place of the domes. It would be reversible in theory. I'm not sure what happens with the fuel bowls, yet. If you want to use the Z car fuel rail, you would want to get another fuel rail because you would have to open up the orifice in the downstream side of the fuel rail to allow the proper fuel pressure.

Anyway, if you are wondering if he has plates for the 4 screw carburetors, you could always email him to ask.

On 6/15/2019 at 5:21 PM, jwtaylor said:

Anyone know if those 3 screw adapters from Patton Machine can be made to fit/work in 4 screw bodies?  I know the mounting screws are an issue, but what else? I like the idea the original carb look with injectors hidden in them.

@jwtaylor I emailed Rick. This was his reply:

Appreciate the link to the Zcar thread. Some very technically savoy folks on there! I will check in from time to time. And yes I do offer Hitachi 4 screw TBI adapters.

Recently have added TBI adapters that use more current readily available MPI style injectors for some of the more popular applications. This new adapter has yet to be announced as availability is very limited at the moment. Perhaps at the end of summer there will be time to flush out the offerings. I don't expect to get a chance to do the Hitachi SU carbs until even later, say winter time based on sales demand. Using these injectors allows for more management options such as using Megasquirt or FAST, etc to build your own system and allow for self tuning etc. Also Affordable Fuel Injection, my supplier of the electronic side of the kit, has come out with a new OBDII controller that has more options and limited customer tuning. So that's all in the pipe and hopefully will be announced publicly later his summer. I have been so busy as a one man operation that there has been no time to work on it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So today was more frustration than success. That's how these projects can go sometimes. I determined that I do NOT like how the fuel pump supplied with the kit would be situated in the stock mounting location. I put a 280Z fuel pump on order to remedy that. I also found that I have no natural talent for installing AN fittings on braided lines. 

At least I have the injectors mounted in the throttle bodies, and the throttle bodies are in the car.

GEDC0739.JPGGEDC0759.JPG

Read the details here: https://fiddlingwithzcars.wordpress.com/fuel-injection-patton-machine

4 hours ago, jonathanrussell said:

Did you design and fab the heat shield, or did you purchase? 

I designed and fabricated the heat shield. It is aluminum with "Thermo-Tec 13575 Adhesive Backed Aluminized Heat Barrier" (can be found on Amazon). After I installed headers, I found a lot of heat coming up between the carburetors with the stock heat shield. This heat shield dropped the temperature between the carburetors by about 100 degrees F.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Okay, the page has been updated with Day 3 activities. I figured out how to do AN fittings today. It's hard to believe that I'm the same person as the idiot who couldn't do it yesterday. I also hit a minor stumbling block in that the fuel pressure gauge has a 1/4" NPT fitting. I couldn't find an AN connector with a fuel pressure gauge port larger than 1/8" NPT (and I already have one of those), so I ended up ordering another fuel pressure gauge that has the same range as the one supplied by Rick but with the 1/8" NPT fitting.
GEDC0769.JPG

Edited by SteveJ
  • Like 2