IGNORED

Patton Machine Fuel Injection

SteveJ

I didn't post about Day 4 since I didn't take any new photos. Today was Day 5 - The TPS Report.

Mounting the TPS bracket was a challenge. First, there are two vacuum ports on the N36 intake that the bracket does not account for. Next, it didn't matter because there is a lip on the intake where the carburetor mounts that prevents the TPS mounting bracket from aligning with the throttle linkage. Oh well, I expected to have to make some modifications. It was a shame to have to cut into that nice bracket. However, everything lines up now.

20190705_171614.jpg

20190705_171619.jpg

20190707_161643.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

8 hours ago, Captain Obvious said:

Nice. It's already running well enough to get to Nashville? You've got a year to finish the tune!!   LOL 

Hmm, I wonder if I'll have enough time...

I'm not sure whether or not I used anti-seize on the plug in the O2 sensor bung. It will take a while to get it out. Just in case, new bungs have been ordered.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, ryanotown22 said:

Toolbox was saved before catastrophe

It wouldn't be the first time that box was dumped, and it holds my solderless lugs, too. Instant game of 52 card pick up.

So when I got home this evening, the first thing I did after exchanging pleasantries with SWMBO was open up my Amazon boxes. I found the spray can of Kroil, and went out to the garage to spray the plug on the O2 sensor bung. I changed into car working clothes (Very redneck chic, I might add.) and went back into the garage. I sprayed the plug again, and then I pulled the car out of the garage (under its own power) and got it up on ramps. I looked at the access to the plug on the O2 sensor bung. It was too tight for the impact gun. The breaker bar would have to work.

I got the socket on the plug, but I realized that I just couldn't get the right leverage. So what's the solution? Of course, it's a 2.5 lb hammer. I forcefully tapped on the breaker bar, and I finally saw it turn! I re-positioned the breaker bar and got another 1/8th of a turn or so. After a couple of more small movements, I decided that I didn't want to be using the breaker bar until midnight. I paused and sprayed some more Kroil on the plug. Then I fetched the long handle ratchet and put it to work...only it has a shorter handle, so I lacked leverage. So what's the solution? Of course, it's a 2.5 lb hammer. I tapped the handle of the ratchet, and it started moving the plug. I kept getting the ratchet to turn. Either the head of the plug was going to break off, or the plug was coming out. I did a quick check to verify that the plug was coming out, and soon it was done.

I coated the threads of the O2 sensor with anti-sieze and installed it. I connected the O2 sensor and got the car running. It runs a LOT better with the O2 sensor installed. I reattached the choke cables since I found I still need them when the car is cold. I have the throttle bodies adjusted, though the idle is high. On the other hand, the idle was high with the carburetors, too.

Now I need to button things up and pick up a $4!+load of tools scattered about in my garage. Then I can do a test drive.

• Like 3

Ahhh, the BFH to the rescue once more.  One of my favorite tools.  Had a mechanic tell me once about how to remove a stubborn bolt that I was beating on and would not budge.  He said " Get a bigger hammer".  It worked.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, gwri8 said:

Ahhh, the BFH to the rescue once more.  One of my favorite tools.  Had a mechanic tell me once about how to remove a stubborn bolt that I was beating on and would not budge.  He said " Get a bigger hammer".  It worked.

It doesn't matter how big and strong you are if you don't have a way to get leverage. Fortunately I know 50 ways to love my lever.

• Like 3

The cables are going to the same place they went to on the SUs. They still move the butterflies. I don't know enough about how the GM system works in actual GM cars to know how the throttle body/fuel injection accounted for cold start conditions.