Dave WM

vintage dashes 280z

1 hour ago, 72ZDave said:

CGSheen1, this picture is stock bulbs with the green covers still intact, and the inside of the gauge pods painted white, correct?

Yes, stock 3.4 watt bulbs, green plastic domes all cleaned, and repainted inside the cans with flat white. The lower right bulb in my speedo is not working. I just haven't gotten under there to replace it... Too hot in Phoenix. The speedo is the latest gauge to get new white paint inside though.

In my gauges, the original paint inside was kinda minimal besides being discolored. I generally covered the entire inside or as much as I could do with flat white. Flat also seems to make the light disperse a bit more. Repainting seems to make the biggest difference.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, siteunseen said:

You notice the right side of your speedo? It's dimmer than the left.

😁 Ya, I noticed that after I reinstalled the speedo a few weeks ago. I've just been too lazy to get back under there to change that lower right bulb... I don't do much night time 140mph driving anyway. I mostly use that left side of the speedo. You guys may have shamed me into doing it before October though.

Edited by cgsheen1
    • Like 2
    • Haha 2

Ha!  I'm with you on that, it's too hot for much of anything to get done around here. 

To be honest I'm not 100% my gauge lights even work.  I never drive them at night.

I did find some of the cool lighting Captain Obvious did but his photos won't show up in the treads.  Here's some from an image search...

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1BOFA_enUS494US494&q=captain+obvious+speedometer+bulb+classiczcars.com&tbm=isch&source=univ&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjlwoLM_P3jAhUImuAKHUd4BqwQsAR6BAgGEAE&cshid=1565635010398541&biw=1280&bih=606#imgrc=_

Edited by siteunseen

Does anyone have the contact phone number for Vintage Dash?  Could not find it online.   Need to source one for a friend with a 75 280z.

Facebook messenger is the way to get a hold of them. They are “new age” business people.

Myself & the owner of the target 280 are not fans of facebook.  They must have a phone number because I believe, Dave and others on this thread have talked to them in the past about shipping updates.  They really need a website.

Only communicated through Facebook messenger with me, but I was able to meet them at their facility before I purchased to see what they had. Not the most convenient, but it worked.

I fought the Book of Faces for years and eventually crumbled due in part to this dash. I had to connect through face book to get mine ordered. I still only use the app for Datsun stuff.

On 12/19/2019 at 10:07 AM, S30Driver said:

Does anyone have the contact phone number for Vintage Dash?  Could not find it online.   Need to source one for a friend with a 75 280z.

Hello, you can reach me at 4086035922   

1 minute ago, 52crankman said:

Can someone please provide a phone number and address for Vintage Dashes?  Am planning a trip to CA and want to stop in.

Hello, number provided above. We are not there all the time. We would appreciate if you let us know which day you plan on stopping by so we can be there. 

• Like 2

Thank you, will forward your number to Joyce, the owner of the 75 280z.  I gave her your email address, she may have already contacted you thru that.

• Like 1

got it in and started the car, checked out all the functions  electrically (lights/radio/instrument/signals/buzzer) have to button up a few things, install the steering wheel and pray the speedo works, what PITA that was.... you need raccoon hands to get up in there and attach that.

Done, I am attaching the last video, see parts 1-8 if you are interested in some of the details

• Like 4

Wow! I love that video. Thank you for doing it Dave! soon everyone will be experts at installing dashes. 

Glad you liked it. It would be helpful for sure to have a couple helpers with lifting it and getting into position.

someone posted on my youtube that getting the speedo hooked up is easier if you leave the tach out until the dash is in place. I presume installing the tach after the dash is in is not a problem. I did not do it that way but would be something to look into.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Dave WM said:

someone posted on my youtube that getting the speedo hooked up is easier if you leave the tach out until the dash is in place. I presume installing the tach after the dash is in is not a problem. I did not do it that way but would be something to look into.

That was me Dave......  The only time you can't do it is with a dash cap installed which prevents the instruments from coming out towards you.  with the vintage dash, this is not a problem.

• Thanks 1

Fantastic videos Dave!  This will help a lot of us that are also in the process of replacing our dashes.

8 minutes ago, S30Driver said:

you can't do it is with a dash cap installed.  with the vintage dash, this is not a problem.

The dash caps don't work over the Vintage Dash? What's the problem there?

I don't have much problem reaching up under the dash to screw in the speedo cable. As crowded as it is under there, it just seems to work. Maybe it's my long spindly orangutan arms.

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Captain Obvious said:

The dash caps don't work over the Vintage Dash? What's the problem there?

I don't have much problem reaching up under the dash to screw in the speedo cable. As crowded as it is under there, it just seems to work. Maybe it's my long spindly orangutan arms.

I have gorilla hands, not good it tight places. It was nice to see the speedo work on my test drive down the steet...

Edited by Dave WM

Now what to do with the old dash (I have two now, my decent one that came out and a JY pull that was going to be used as a experiment on fixing). For now the decent on is installed on the JY frame and will be stowed in doors. the JY dash will go in the attic for "seasoning"... Maybe one day there will be a use for these, I think this is how hoarding begins...

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Dave WM said:

I think this is how hoarding begins...

I've seen your place... I think you may have started just a wee little bit before that new dash arrived.    LOL

Looks like all of our places!     ROFL

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, S30Driver said:

I'm just trying to save your sensitive back Bruce.   I remember Austin....B)

Thank you for watching out for me! I appreciate it!

Yeah, Austin... I focus on the good parts. And there were enough of those that I can push the other stuff to the background.

• Like 1