Dave WM

vintage dashes 280z

plastic glove box was a good fit. I will measure the openings later from the OE to the new dash.

21 sheet metal screws into hard points on the dash pad. Observation, while not actually tied to the dash pad, there are sheet metal screws that affix the plastic support for the wire harness. these extend a good bit (maybe 1/4") up into the area covered by the foam of the dash. I think it would be a good idea to not have any sharp points interfering with the dash install so I backed them off and used some masking tape to hold the plastic fixture in place (and the screws as well so I don't have to go hunting them later). Once you clear out the 21 screws the pad comes off pretty easy, prob easier if I had backed of those before mentioned screws. The cigarette lighter is mounted to the actual dash foam parts, so I will be looking into whats involved with getting that off the donor dash and how exactly it mounts.

On ‎8‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 4:30 PM, hcarrickz3 said:

Got the dash, I think you guys will be pleased with your dash.

IMG_20190805_161537280_HDR.jpg

check above and below the where the cig lighter recess is. there should be a hole in the metal for the sheet metal screw both above and below. I was missing the hole above the recess.

The dash is best fitted with the top fasten down halfway first. Then work your way down to the bottom. All screws should be left slightly lose for adjustment. Once all screws are in tighten them all down. Starting with the top and work your way down

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Dave WM said:

a closer look

I’m glad you liked the outcome of the dash. Thanks for your patience. It was one long wait. 

On 7/25/2019 at 9:40 AM, SoCalJim said:

I’m ready.

F244F363-5368-457F-821B-7918829CDCE9.jpeg

I’m waiting for the next batch. The next pallet arrives week of the 18th. 

On 8/5/2019 at 1:30 PM, hcarrickz3 said:

Got the dash, I think you guys will be pleased with your dash.

IMG_20190805_161537280_HDR.jpg

Touchdown! Thank you for your patience and support. 

• Thanks 1

seeing the complexity of the dash 1st hand you have to give a lot of credit to the Vintage Dashes people. I hope they are able to continue to come up with products to support the Z community.

• Like 1

it looks like you have a screw installed there. did you find the hole or did you drill your own?

40 minutes ago, hcarrickz3 said:

That is the hole that was hard to find,covered with 1/4 of  the black dash foam.  

I dug around but could not find it, will look again.

I am just not seeing it, will have to pull the dash off and look better, worse case I will install with out, put the tach in and drill my myself. I have dug out all the foam around the opening thru the metal. I did notice you have a lot less foam over the cig lighter than was on mine, at first I was not sure there was metal there at all. it was buried about 1/8"

I looked at the vertical slots on my cig holder (obscured by foam in your pic) and I noticed they seemed clocked at about 11:45 with respect to holes in the metal frame. I think my metal insert hole by the tach maybe just under the open hole away from the tach.

if that is the case I think the best course of action would be to elongate the frame hole horizontally on both holes so as not to stress the foam/metal bond.

Edited by Dave WM

note the clocking CCW if the holes line up with the slots, then that would shift the hole just under the left side of the opening. If I can tweet the fitment of the dash I maybe able to capture both holes (got the bottom one), but I would want to make sure that does not distort the opening around the tach. the bottom screw is located to the far right of the hole (following the slot). I can push the dash over to center it with some force but that would just shift the top hole more under the metal frame.

Not a big deal, a little grinding on the frame should take care of it.

100_1681.JPG

Edited by Dave WM

c0b1eec21968a94e30fc82d897766bf6.jpg6dda7bde1f85af55c3b86f622866c4c2.jpg

Probably should have had this all done prior to getting my new dash in the mail, but they’re all clean now

40 minutes ago, 72ZDave said:

c0b1eec21968a94e30fc82d897766bf6.jpg6dda7bde1f85af55c3b86f622866c4c2.jpg

Probably should have had this all done prior to getting my new dash in the mail, but they’re all clean now

Nice!

Will you install led bulbs in the gauges?  There's some good info here on that.  Superbrightleds.com I think is where they get them.  It really looks good.

Siteunseen, I've done a little searching on this forum and hadn't had much luck finding info on LED bulbs, most of the threads pulled were old enough they were too dated.  LED's seem to change daily.  I pulled the website you mentioned and they show bulbs for the dash.  Do you know if these are plug and play or is there anything else you need to do to make these work in a stock wiring harness?  

Thanks!

While you have those gauges apart you should pull the guts and repaint the insides of the cans a nice bright flat white.

No matter what bulbs you choose, that will always help. Personally I don't like the harshness of the LED replacement "bulbs" that I have seen - I'm very old school that way. But repainting the inside of my gauges made a huge change in the brightness even using stock 3.4 watt bulbs.

20190811_094900[1].jpg

Edited by cgsheen1
    • Like 4

Pulse width dimmer modules can be used. PWD units. Pretty easy to source.

1 hour ago, cgsheen1 said:

While you have those gauges apart you should pull the guts and repaint the insides of the cans a nice bright flat white.

No matter what bulbs you choose, that will always help. Personally I don't like the harshness of the LED replacement "bulbs" that I have seen - I'm very old school that way. But repainting the inside of my gauges made a huge change in the brightness even using stock 3.4 watt bulbs.

20190811_094900[1].jpg

You notice the right side of your speedo? It's dimmer than the left.

@Captain Obvious figured how to fix that but I can't find it.  Captain, you got your ears on?  Come back...

:love:

2 hours ago, cgsheen1 said:

20190811_094900[1].jpg

CGSheen1, this picture is stock bulbs with the green covers still intact, and the inside of the gauge pods painted white, correct?