IGNORED

[2019] What Did You Do To/with Your Z Today?

zed2

Thanks Jim2!

And Charles, and Gary and Guy....

Had the best Birthday ever!

Such good friends came to celebrate here at home and many thanks to you all for your wishes and influence in my life----you really are so special to me.

Kagy (the wife) gave me a button to wear on my 70th that said---

In dog years...I'm dead!

Well... closer for sure... but not yet... thankfully! LOL

You guys are the best!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Changed my exhaust system again. Abandoned the Zstory stainless headers and went back to the stock exhaust manifold (ceramic coated) and installed a new dowm tube a two into one 2.5 inch pipe. Added a custom bend pipe to meet up to the Zstory resonator. Connected everything with stainless V clamps. I’ll run it as is for a while and then remove the new pipe and have it ceramic coated. 

Next up is the transmission  whine I get in 1st 2nd and 3rd. Probably a propessional rebuild. 

26 minutes ago, 7tooZ said:

Changed my exhaust system again. Abandoned the Zstory stainless headers and went back to the stock exhaust manifold (ceramic coated) and installed a new dowm tube a two into one 2.5 inch pipe. Added a custom bend pipe to meet up to the Zstory resonator. Connected everything with stainless V clamps. I’ll run it as is for a while and then remove the new pipe and have it ceramic coated. 

Next up is the transmission  whine I get in 1st 2nd and 3rd. Probably a propessional rebuild. 

Why did you go back to the stock manifold?

My install purchase a full system which went together well with a few exception. On cars with SUs there is not enough space to used the stock heat shield so custom spring brackets were required. Additionally the exhaust tube for number six cylinder protruded to approximately 3/4 inch below the soft rubber tube on the bottom of the rear SU.  I was uncomfortable with a 450+  degrees that close and no room for a heat shield. The next header solved the close contact to the SU but made contact with the torsion rod bracket and would require custom fabrication. 

Up until now I have used a ceramic coated stock manifold and down pipe with 2.25 exhaust a glass pack resonator an a magnaflow muffler. So I decided to experiment with Sean’s stainless system and the changes I mentioned above. So far so good. Nice sound under throttle but a little loud at WOT. Nice low tone at 70 mph  at 2500-2700 rpm. 

I like the fact that the stainless system uses V clamps on the resonator making it east to remove the system for other work. Tucks up tight except where the pipe is next to the diff. Looks great from the back. 

00BE757B-8457-4D38-A403-E44EFF027779.jpeg

Edited by 7tooZ
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Patcon said:

Why did you go back to the stock manifold?

I use the stock manifold on my cars. Never really liked the hollow sound of headers and have heard (but can’t verify) that headers don’t add that much h.p......stock exhaust manifolds are fairly efficient.  If I were building a true race car, I would go headers......on the street, stock manifold works for me.  IMO

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Diseazd said:

I use the stock manifold on my cars. Never really liked the hollow sound of headers and have heard (but can’t verify) that headers don’t add that much h.p......stock exhaust manifolds are fairly efficient.  If I were building a true race car, I would go headers......on the street, stock manifold works for me.  IMO

I guess most of my question was just based on the impression that Sean(?) makes some very nice exhaust parts. I don't necessarily consider it a move backwards, but was looking for the impetus

• Like 1

Had a noise in my ZX tranny in the 73, so I decided to install the one that Eiji rebuilt for me. I’m also taking out the Exedy Stage I performance clutch (too strong for my use) and installing an Exedy stock 240 mm clutch. If anyone wants the clutch and disc (240 mm) for $200.00 plus shipping, it’s theirs (I paid $475.00 and only has 1500 easy miles). Wow, a transmission jack makes it so much easier.....of course the lift does too ?

609A217A-BD78-4E7B-8BA6-8447B9A70C44.jpeg

3AC1B9BF-905C-4E29-9EAE-565A81F79B05.jpeg

F5F825FB-4A0C-4B36-BDE9-25E300410C0C.jpeg

5CEFA994-E188-4180-BA1F-A7DF565583C0.jpeg

Edited by Diseazd
  • Like 3

• Mike pinned this topic