IGNORED

Z Car store vs motorsport rear disc kit

Elliott000

Hey guys, looking to pull the trigger on a disc swap now. I see these two available. any one better than the other? zcardepot has all the goods but I wonder if I can source the rotors and calipers locally for cheap... thoughts, im also open to other options. 

https://zcardepot.com/products/rear-disc-brake-conversion-kit-240z-260z-280z

http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/PROD/24-5581

Thanks

1 minute ago, grannyknot said:

do you know if the silvermine kits are confirmed to have a working parking brake? I thought i read some where Id have to do a line lock setup which wont fly on my BS inspection lol

Well I assembled this configuration of parts my self, saved a few bucks and my parking brake works fine, however to get the parking brake working with these calipers you have to optimize everything cause the when the parking brake is activated it only pushes the inside pad about a one tenth of an inch so everything has to be adjusted perfectly.

https://www.silverminemotors.com/datsun/datsun-240z/brake-upgrades/stage-4-rear-big-brake-kit

• Like 1

How do you like the Mustang GT (stage 4) rear kit @grannyknot? What front brakes do you run?

I am about to get the Silvermine stage 4 brackets and piece that rear setup together from Mustang parts on hand for my 260 endurance race car.  I plan to pair the Mustang rear setup with the typical vented Toyota 4 pot front setup and likely a Wilwood 1" MC.  A friend has the same front and rear brakes on his 240Z vintage racer, but he hasn't actually tried it yet.  I did take one of my Konig Rewind 15x7 wheels over to his house and it fit over the rear brake setup.  His Enkie Classic Compe 15x7 wheels have a ton of room, while my Rewinds are fairly tight, but both fit.

IMG_0717.JPG

IMG_0719.JPG

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jeff G 78 said:

How do you like the Mustang GT (stage 4) rear kit

The rear calipers I'm using are off a Maxima and they look identical to the ones in Silvermines stage 4 kit so I just assumed they were the Maxima calipers.  I'm using the vented 4 pot Toyota calipers up front with a 15/16" MC. I also installed a Wilwood proportioning valve but it does nothing, the valve is wide open and I can't get the rears to lock up even on gravel.

The rear calipers I'm using are off a Maxima and they look identical to the ones in Silvermines stage 4 kit so I just assumed they were the Maxima calipers.  I'm using the vented 4 pot Toyota calipers up front with a 15/16" MC. I also installed a Wilwood proportioning valve but it does nothing, the valve is wide open and I can't get the rears to lock up even on gravel.

Any thoughts on why the no lock up on rears? I know lock up isn't ideal but it would be good to get there and tune it out. M/c stroke?

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, grannyknot said:

The Silvermine stage 4 kit is Mustang GT rotors and calipers.  The Maxima kit is stage 2, I believe.  From everything I've read, the Maxima kit is too small for the 4 pot fronts just like you have found.  That is why the stage 4 rears "should" pair well with the 4 pot vented fronts.  I just haven't found anyone yet that has actually used them on a track.

7 hours ago, Elliott000 said:

Any thoughts on why the no lock up on rears? I know lock up isn't ideal but it would be good to get there and tune it out. M/c stroke?

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk

The long and short of it is these brake components weren't designed to work together for a 240z, owners started mixing/matching brakes from other cars in an effort to assemble a perfectly balanced braking system.  But really most of it is trial and error, the brake combination I'm using works quite well but is still has too much front bias.

Before you start changing your brakes you owe it to yourself to read all the brake threads on Hybridz, most of these combinations were tried and hashed out years ago, the kits that are offered for sale by a number of companies are a direct result of that experimentation.

19 minutes ago, Jeff G 78 said:

That is why the stage 4 rears "should" pair well with the 4 pot vented fronts.

It's funny that the pictures of the Mustang rear calipers are identical to the Maxima