IGNORED

Badging a 240Z into a FairladyZ

DC871F

15 hours ago, DC871F said:

A couple of you may have seen the thread I started on my 73 rotisserie restoration. So I have had this car for a long time waiting to do the restoration, and my intent years ago was to clone it as a FairladyZ, with you know, the LHD.

I'm ready for your thoughts or concerns.

One of the 'concerns' - although it doesn't amount to a hill of beans in the grand scheme of things - is that you will sometimes have to listen to the ill-informed and/or plain stupid witterings of people who don't know their arse from their elbow when it comes down to the nitty gritty. As you have already seen from our basketball-fondling friend further up the thread...

But how about this? Your car is a 1973 build, right? Why not put factory-style 'Fairlady 240Z' emblems on it? To me, 'Fairlady Z' emblems indicate a 2-litre car. The Japanese market L24-engined cars (1971 through 1973 Fairlady 240Z, Fairlady 240Z-L and Fairlady 240ZG) all wore two-piece 'Fairlady 240Z' emblems rather than 'Fairlady Z' emblems. If anything, it would make it a little bit *more correct* as an hommage/lookalike/tip o' the hat and it's arguably more appropriate to the car.

Naysayers - again, as you've seen upthread - fixate on the RHD vs LHD aspect of all this, but it's neither here nor there really. Nissan themselves put 'Fairlady Z' emblems on a few special 240Zs, so you have a precedent.

Here's an example of the 'Fairlady 240Z' emblems. The '240Z' part is the same as that used on Export market 240Zs, and the 'Fairlady' emblem (without the attached 'Z') was a dedicated item for the Japanese market L24-engined models. You *could* cut the 'Z' off of your 'Fairlady Z' emblems and make something very very close...

tmyGB9.jpg

Edited by HS30-H

I built a 'Fairlady 240Z' emblem-ed car (based on a UK market HS30) back in the 1990s. Sounds similar to what you are planning to do:

uJgD0J.jpg

SYiS0L.jpg

vj5nN4.jpg

Key points: You need the correct S30-series specific 'Z' bonnet emblem, not the flatter S130-series type. Good thing is that the vented-quarter Japanese market models used the same 'Z' vent emblems as the vented-quarter Export market cars, so two less emblems to source. Your 'Fairlady Z' glovebox emblem was also used on the 'Fairlady 240Z' models, so that's correct.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, HS30-H said:

the nitty gritty. As you have already seen from our basketball-fondling friend further up the thread...   

This has to be the weakest effort I've seen from you.  Playing both sides.  As long as you produce your fake the correct way, it's okay.  Desperate.  I'm actually disappointed.

Nitty-gritty.  A vague word, used to imply hidden special knowledge.  But there's not really anything there is there?

Just go get a Fairlady firewall VIN scrap and patch it in.  Voila, it's a Fairlady Z.

5 hours ago, HS30-H said:

Naysayers - again, as you've seen upthread - fixate on the RHD vs LHD aspect of all this, but it's neither here nor there really. Nissan themselves put 'Fairlady Z' emblems on a few special 240Zs, so you have a precedent.   

Explain how DC871's car is special and you might have a case.  It really looks like you made a fake in the past so it's okay for others to make fakes.  Your moral compass seems to have yourself as North.  Everything points inward.

Rebadging is no different than re-VIN-ing, except it's legal.

21 minutes ago, Zed Head said:

Explain how DC871's car is special and you might have a case.  It really looks like you made a fake in the past so it's okay for others to make fakes.  Your moral compass seems to have yourself as North.  Everything points inward.

Rebadging is no different than re-VIN-ing, except it's legal.

I would disagree on this. Rebadging to me is no different than blacking out window trim or different bumpers or different wheels. It looks different and has different exterior details, but nobody is suggesting it is a factory made Fairlady as re-Vinning implies

• Like 2

A badge is a label used to identify the object it's on.  A VIN is a number used to identify the object it's on.  What's the point of rebadging if not to suggest that the object it's on is what the badge says it is?  

I can understand enjoying the thought that you might have what the new label implies, living a mild fantasy, but when it comes down to the "nitty-gritty", if somebody asks "is that a real Fairlady Z?", the honest answer is no.  It just has a Fairlady badge on it.  So, in essence, it's a fraud.  I wonder if HS30-H sold his counterfeit Fairlady Z as a real one.

Anyway, the discussion ended up on-point until HS30-H's insecurities kicked in.  If he had a Twitter account I assume that he'd be on a rant about peoples' "stupid witterings", whatever a wittering is.  (Apparently "wittering" is a Scottish word.  Rebadged as English, I assume).   Protecting the badge is one thing, but then supporting moving the badge around willy-nilly is another.  He's trying to play both sides, and has no leg to stand on.

6 minutes ago, Zed Head said:

A badge is a label used to identify the object it's on.  A VIN is a number used to identify the object it's on.  What's the point of rebadging if not to suggest that the object it's on is what the badge says it is?  

I can understand enjoying the thought that you might have what the new label implies, living a mild fantasy, but when it comes down to the "nitty-gritty", if somebody asks "is that a real Fairlady Z?", the honest answer is no.  It just has a Fairlady badge on it.  So, in essence, it's a fraud.  I wonder if HS30-H sold his counterfeit Fairlady Z as a real one.

Anyway, the discussion ended up on-point until HS30-H's insecurities kicked in.  If he had a Twitter account I assume that he'd be on a rant about peoples' "stupid witterings", whatever a wittering is.  (Apparently "wittering" is a Scottish word.  Rebadged as English, I assume).   Protecting the badge is one thing, but then supporting moving the badge around willy-nilly is another.  He's trying to play both sides, and has no leg to stand on.

If I were you, I'd stick to fondling your basketball. You simply have no clue what you are wittering (yes!) on aboot. Och aye the noo. 

If you have some free time sit-down time between 'shooting hoops' (tee hee), try getting your head around the idea of what the word "fake" actually means to everybody else except you.

6 hours ago, HS30-H said:

One of the 'concerns' - although it doesn't amount to a hill of beans in the grand scheme of things - is that you will sometimes have to listen to the ill-informed and/or plain stupid witterings of people who don't know their arse from their elbow when it comes down to the nitty gritty. As you have already seen from our basketball-fondling friend further up the thread... 

Q.E.D.

5 minutes ago, HS30-H said:

If I were you, I'd stick to fondling your basketball. You simply have no clue what you are wittering (yes!) on aboot. Och aye the noo. 

If you have some free time sit-down time between 'shooting hoops' (tee hee), try getting your head around the idea of what the word "fake" actually means to everybody else except you.

You can't make an argument without an insinuation of some sort of sexual fetish?  More weakness.  And apparently you missed the point of the analogy entirely.  You should be making fun of my height or lack of leaping ability.  Your large vocabulary is wasted.

The last part is the correct part - these rebadged cars are fakes, in my opinion, and devalue the car that gets the fake badge.  You can't talk about your car without revealing that it's a fake unless you want to continue the fraud.  And I doubt that "everybody else" is in your camp.  Why spend your time, if you're honest, constantly explaining that the car just has a badge from a different car, it didn't come that way.  Maybe the key issue here is honesty.  Just like it was in the VIN thread.

6 hours ago, HS30-H said:

For any late-arrivers.  This is how the slide starts.  Inability to be civil.  Can't make an argument without calling names.  Calling people stupid before trying to make the point is a sure sign that there's no substance to the words that follow.  We're seeing a lot of it these days, by supposed leaders in both England and the US.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1