dmorales-bello

Engine lift for front cross member removal

17 minutes ago, wheee! said:

What are the optional mount points for under the pan?

image.png

Those are actually not optional at all. The steering rack clamps (upper and lower) attach there from above. (The upper clamps are back ordered and I have to wait a couple of weeks to get those but I'll temporarily use my stock clamps on the top and the new ones on the bottom). Here's a pic, Mark.

Apex tubular cross member.jpeg

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Mike said:

Have you tried the command "Alexa, send me instructions on how to install my steering rack.."

Yep! She said "sorry, I'm not sure about that". 

Edited by dmorales-bello
  • Like 1

Got the new Illumina struts installed in the freshly powder coated housings. Stock control arms have been media blasted and powder coated and just received the outer tie rods from Apex Engineered. Will be installing tomorrow. 

20190311_124416.jpg

20190311_164513.jpg

20190311_210158.jpg

20190311_210350.jpg

20190311_210415.jpg

20190311_210543.jpg

13 hours ago, grannyknot said:

It kind of looks like the springs are off center or loose at full droop, maybe it's just the way the light is hitting it.

Yes, you're right. I had just quickly set them up for the pic and didn't notice. Good eye!

The front end work is complete: Tokico Illumina struts, Apex Engineered front crossmember, tie rods and steering knuckles, Arizona Z car aluminum oil pan, TTT tension rods, MSA anti away bar, rebuilt steering rack, Z Car Depot splash guard, powder coated stock control arms, strut housings and brake dust shields. Come to think of it, that was a lot of stuff! 

All the components went together well (with the exception of the stock control arms which had to be "shaved" at the back so as to go properly into the new crossmember) although they're all from different companies and we were able to align the car without any problems. 

20190318_172530.jpg

Edited by dmorales-bello
  • Like 2

That pan has internal baffles allowing oil to be sucked up into the engine even when the car is traversing a hard corner. I have had one in my street and race car for over 15 years.

My dad ruined a nearly new Cadillac engine attempting to get a glider airborne - race down the runway, not fast enough, hard left turn, fast down the runway, over and over again. The dealer says he never had an engine fail so quickly after purchase.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/19/2019 at 8:16 AM, 240260280 said:

For bump-steer optimization, what angle did you settle on for the steering rods? Are they parallel to the ground?

They are parallel to the ground.

• Like 1