IGNORED

Steering Effort Differences Between Years

2 minutes ago, HS30-H said:

Sorry but, with respect (you are usually a saint in this respect, rturbo 930), "240Z (1972)" is not refined enough for this discussion. As I've pointed out, North American market got a 'slow' steering rack ratio from the get-go, whilst other markets got a relatively 'quick' ratio during the same period.

Market and/or variant needs to be specified if any of this is to be accurate.  

Apologies, that was copied from the other thread to make it easier to find the relevant info. But yes, both racks measured were from US cars.

I thought my Z driving season was over a few weeks ago because we got a bunch of snow and they salted the roads, but it has rained and rained (and rained) since then and washed off the roads. So because of that, I've been taking full advantage of the late season opportunities to drive my Z.

While out yesterday, I measured my steering wheel turns lock-to-lock and got just over three. So that confirms the FSM is correct on that spec at 3.1 turns L-L for my 77.

Can someone with a 240 or 260 measure their turns L-L for comparison?

As a side note, every time I put the Z away now, I park it "as though it's the last drive of the season". At least now, I'm doing it intentionally instead of being surprised by the snow last time!

9 minutes ago, siteunseen said:

How do I do the L-L test?  See how many times the wheel turns to get from all the way left until all the way right?  I can do that to the 240 maybe today or tomorrow.

Yup. Just like that. Turn the wheel all the way to one lock and note the position of the wheel and then count the number of turns until you reach the other lock.

I did mine in a parking lot moving slowly (so I didn't rip my sports-aged shoulders out of the sockets), but you don't really even have to be moving to test it. You can do it sitting still in the garage.

1 minute ago, Zed Head said:

The FMS's kind of blend the lock-to-lock and the ratios together.  This is 1976 and 1977, above, 76 above, 77 below.  Hard to tell what's what.

Yeah, I don't know what's up with the 76 spec in the FSM. It seems pretty clear that they believe the ratio in 76 to be 15.8, but I'm not sure I believe that. It was eighteen in 74 and eighteen again in 77, Makes me doubt that the two years in between were that different.

And for the L-L numbers in 76, I wonder if they were intending to have a different spec for the 2+2, but forgot to label it as such.

Turned right until it was tight and held it, turned left until it was tight again.  2 and three quarters, one more spoke would've been 3 complete but it stopped short.  15" wheels on my 240 FYI.  Hope this helps?  Cliff

EDIT  I guess if it was one spoke off that would be 2.66?  You're the smart one, figure it out because I don't know!

Edited by siteunseen