IGNORED

Finally Got My Garage Mahal!!!

Marty Rogan

4 minutes ago, 26th-Z said:

Spill grease!  Looks great!  Congrats

Ha!  Well, I did not have time to work ON garage, but I did have some time to work IN the garage.  Already spilled some grease.  I absolutely loved being able to work on a car without being cramped and bumping into walls and other stuff.

Thanks

Edited by Marty Rogan

Things to consider

- a sliding "dust" curtain for bodywork and paintwork

- ventilation intake and exhaust for said body and paintwork

- the mandatory four post lift

- industrial shelving for parts and equipment storage

- 220 power feed and running water if possible

- forced air furnace if needed (here in Canada it is a must!). 

- wet bar and 60" tv.... :P

12 minutes ago, wheee! said:

Things to consider

- a sliding "dust" curtain for bodywork and paintwork

- ventilation intake and exhaust for said body and paintwork

- the mandatory four post lift

- industrial shelving for parts and equipment storage

- 220 power feed and running water if possible

- forced air furnace if needed (here in Canada it is a must!). 

- wet bar and 60" tv.... ?

A four post lift is definitely on the must have list. I have 12' to the joists, so I should have plenty of height for that.

I like the idea of a dust curtain.  Ventilation and exhaust is a great idea too.  I never thought of that one.

Heat is another high priority.  I live in Wisconsin and it gets pretty cold here too.  I want to look into radiant tube heating.  My friend has that in his 1,500' hanger.  He keeps it at 65 degrees all winter long and it costs him about $40 a month.

The barn has 200 Amp Service with a lot of spare spots in the box left, so I just need to decide  where to place the outlets and what type.

18 minutes ago, Marty Rogan said:

A four post lift is definitely on the must have list. I have 12' to the joists, so I should have plenty of height for that.

I like the idea of a dust curtain.  Ventilation and exhaust is a great idea too.  I never thought of that one.

Heat is another high priority.  I live in Wisconsin and it gets pretty cold here too.  I want to look into radiant tube heating.  My friend has that in his 1,500' hanger.  He keeps it at 65 degrees all winter long and it costs him about $40 a month.

The barn has 200 Amp Service with a lot of spare spots in the box left, so I just need to decide  where to place the outlets and what type.

Nice!

I have an industrial fan feeding air at about 15 cfm through a filter into my garage from the eaves to the centre of the garage. Then I have another fan pulling air out the back of the shop with an attached "pan" that I can slide under the car while painting. Effectively creating a downdraft paint booth.

I like forced air because I can keep the shop at 10 degrees C until I need to bump it up and then it heats up in about 2 minutes to 22 degrees C. Costs next to nothing to heat this way.

Also, find the biggest industrial air compressor you can afford. Go to an auction or whatever, and find a screw type compressor with a dehydrator, or at least a two stage 80 gallon unit. You will thank me later....

Edited by wheee!

8 minutes ago, wheee! said:

Nice!

I have an industrial fan feeding air at about 15 cfm through a filter into my garage from the eaves to the centre of the garage. Then I have another fan pulling air out the back of the shop with an attached "pan" that I can slide under the car while painting. Effectively creating a downdraft paint booth.

I like forced air because I can keep the shop at 10 degrees C until I need to bump it up and then it heats up in about 2 minutes to 22 degrees C. Costs next to nothing to heat this way.

Also, find the biggest industrial air compressor you can afford. Go to an auction or whatever, and find a screw type compressor with a dehydrator, or at least a two stage 80 gallon unit. You will thank me later....

I knew that I need to get a compressor.  I never had the space for one, so I don't know what to look for.  Thanks for the tips.

1 minute ago, Mike said:

Oh that's a nice setup!  But, will you ever have time to work on your car considering all that lawn you have to mow?  ?

I bought a 61" commercial zero turn mower.  It can do up to 10 MPH on flat ground.  It takes me about 3 1/2 hours to cut.  I usually do it over 2 days, so  it does not feel like lawn mowing is my second career.  And with the zero turn, it s ALMOST fun.

• Like 1

Also, consider improving the lighting with some LED shop lamps spaced nicely around the barn, along with some wall mounted units to see better. Especially if you are creating a body and paint area.

Run a length of 3/4" pipe off your compressor around the barn with multiple 'drops' for air lines. Don't forget a good dehydrator as well if you don't get the pro industrial unit. 

Get a good quality sound system! it will make the time out there much more pleasant! You may also want to consider some wireless surveillance cameras both inside and out of the shop. I wish I had done a goPro or something like that as well, kind of like @Home Built by Jeff does to record my progress.

• Like 1