IGNORED

Finally Got My Garage Mahal!!!

Marty Rogan

Poured the bond beam today.  Roof trusses start tomorrow.  First pic looking out the south wall.  Second pic is looking east along the north wall.  I built a little wing wall between the house and the garage to define the landscaping between the two buildings.

The garage is 22' x 30 with two 9' overhead doors.  The walls are 8'-8" tall with sloped ceiling trusses to a height of 10'-6" in the middle.  I should be able to get a lift in.  The slab is thickened and reinforced for a lift.  Foam insulated attic with a drywall finish ceiling.  I'll paint the block walls.  I paid special attention to a completely flat, dead level slab.  It is really nice.  It will be finished in epoxy.

IMG_0318sm.jpg

IMG_0319sm.jpg

Edited by 26th-Z

1 hour ago, 26th-Z said:

Poured the bond beam today.  Roof trusses start tomorrow.  First pic looking out the south wall.  Second pic is looking east along the north wall.  I built a little wing wall between the house and the garage to define the landscaping between the two buildings.

The garage is 22' x 30 with two 9' overhead doors.  The walls are 8'-8" tall with sloped ceiling trusses to a height of 10'-6" in the middle.  I should be able to get a lift in.  The slab is thickened and reinforced for a lift.  Foam insulated attic with a drywall finish ceiling.  I'll paint the block walls.  I paid special attention to a completely flat, dead level slab.  It is really nice.  It will be finished in epoxy.

IMG_0318sm.jpg

IMG_0319sm.jpg

Looks like you are making good progress.  You are doing a lot of the right stuff.  High ceilings are a must have.

Thanks!  The roof deck is 5/8" plywood on trusses at 24" on center.  The gable ends have a 12" overhang but I have 30" overhangs over the doors.  The plywood deck is nailed with 10d nails at 4" on center and the clips are mid span.  The clips are 16ga steel stamped into an H shape with the wide flange pointed down (if you lay the plywood out from fascia up to the ridge).  The clips also space the long edges of the plywood so that they won't bow over time.  They are not fasteners; they just block the plywood edges.

This is going to have a galvanized metal roof and I didn't need to use 5/8" plywood.  My design wind speed is 160 mph and even though I don't have any uplift greater than 1000 pounds, I opted for the thicker plywood, nail spacing, and truss straps that wrap over the top of the truss.  My insurance will be lower, and, as you say, the cars will be safer.  I also opted for impact rated windows and doors for the same reason.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 4/22/2020 at 11:50 AM, siteunseen said:

Thank you for the reply.  That's a well thought out then built garage for sure.  You'll enjoy that for many years.

Looking back at your photo it must be some kind of reflection that I thought was a gap.  Farther down the gap isn't there.

image.png

There is always a gap in roof sheeting due to the H clips used between each sheet to distribute the loads when 2' on center trusses are used.  I'm sure the sun was simply shining directly on the circled area.  You can actually see the dark spots where the clips are located.  I used to frame houses 30 years ago  ?