Jump to content

jalexquijano

E brake light dim on speedometer

Recommended Posts

22 hours ago, jalexquijano said:

As i previously informed i disconnected the female plug from the male middle switch of the proportioning valve and the low dimming light dissapeared.  I managed to spray electrical contact cleaner and brushed the tip of the male and female connectors and the light still shows up when plugging it back. What test should i perform now?

 

On 10/8/2018 at 7:32 PM, cgsheen1 said:

Do you have a multimeter?  You can test the switch (what you are calling the sensor) by removing the wire and testing for continuity between the male bullet connector and ground (the thing you have circled in red in the picture above).  It should have NO continuity (open circuit) if the shuttle inside is centered properly. 

If it has any continuity then:

- There is an imbalance in the brake circuits

- The switch is stuck and off the neutral position

- The switch is defective

The fact that the light only illuminates when the wire is attached shows the "fault" comes from the switch itself, not a ground fault in the wire.

The Factory Service Manual advises against repairing this device - but that was back when they were still available from dealers.  I would probably source another one - failing that, There's a cross section picture above (Figure BR-12 Warning Light Switch)  that shows how it could be disassembled.

 

On 10/8/2018 at 9:20 AM, jalexquijano said:

20181008_111237.jpg

With an OHM METER check between THERE and GROUND.  Ohm meter should read "0" (no continuity).  If it does not read "0" then that part (the Warning Light Switch) is bad and you'll need to remove it and repair or replace it.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/8/2018 at 9:32 PM, cgsheen1 said:

Do you have a multimeter?  You can test the switch (what you are calling the sensor) by removing the wire and testing for continuity between the male bullet connector and ground (the thing you have circled in red in the picture above).  It should have NO continuity (open circuit) if the shuttle inside is centered properly. 

If it has any continuity then:

- There is an imbalance in the brake circuits

- The switch is stuck and off the neutral position

- The switch is defective

The fact that the light only illuminates when the wire is attached shows the "fault" comes from the switch itself, not a ground fault in the wire.

The Factory Service Manual advises against repairing this device - but that was back when they were still available from dealers.  I would probably source another one - failing that, There's a cross section picture above (Figure BR-12 Warning Light Switch)  that shows how it could be disassembled.

Well, this morninh i took my multimeter out and dial it to the continuity position. Placed red probe on the male bullet connector of the switch and the black one to the part that i circled in red. There was no beep which means that there is no continuity.  What could be wrong here if i already cleaned the female and male connector with a brass wire brush?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The thing you have circled in red IS the male bullet connector...  Test between there and GROUND (battery "-")

(but, this is all just to absolutely verify that the switch is bad.  It is.  Just replace the damn switch...)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, cgsheen1 said:

The thing you have circled in red IS the male bullet connector...  Test between there and GROUND (battery "-")

(but, this is all just to absolutely verify that the switch is bad.  It is.  Just replace the damn switch...)

Then bleed both circuits!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi,

Just tested with black probe on negative battery terminal and the other on the bullet male connector. No beep meaning no continuity. However if i place the red probe on the bottom of the nut of the connector it does beep which means there is continuity. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In the female connector to the male connector on the switch is there some stray crap that may be hitting the top of the switch giving a small short in the circuit or maybe is the female connector pushed on too far? If you just set the female connector on the male connection of the switch is the light still on dim?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I apologize for the orientation but it displays properly until I download it

20180120_134144.jpg

This is the switch disassembled. The part at the bottom of this photo has the bullet connector on it. The center copper electrode is isolated from the outside shell with a plastic sleeve

20180120_153848.jpg

Like this

20180120_184349.jpg

You can see the bottom of the sleeve in this picture. If you have continuity from the bullet connector to the hex head on the sensor then there is corrosion bridging over it or there is a crack that has formed in the isolating sleeve. Like cgsheen1 said you will need a new switch if this is the case. This switch is NLA! You would have to find a suitable replacement and it might need cleaning internally. This switch was never supposed to be serviced, so extra caution is required. It is difficult to get it disassembled and reassembled correctly

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎10‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 12:03 PM, w3wilkes said:

In the female connector to the male connector on the switch is there some stray crap that may be hitting the top of the switch giving a small short in the circuit or maybe is the female connector pushed on too far? If you just set the female connector on the male connection of the switch is the light still on dim?

Ill check on that. I did noticed that when i started driving the car the light randomly dissapeared but came back again when i parked the car. Really weird. Mean i can live with it but it should go off all the way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎10‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 4:33 PM, Patcon said:

I apologize for the orientation but it displays properly until I download it

20180120_134144.jpg

This is the switch disassembled. The part at the bottom of this photo has the bullet connector on it. The center copper electrode is isolated from the outside shell with a plastic sleeve

20180120_153848.jpg

Like this

20180120_184349.jpg

You can see the bottom of the sleeve in this picture. If you have continuity from the bullet connector to the hex head on the sensor then there is corrosion bridging over it or there is a crack that has formed in the isolating sleeve. Like cgsheen1 said you will need a new switch if this is the case. This switch is NLA! You would have to find a suitable replacement and it might need cleaning internally. This switch was never supposed to be serviced, so extra caution is required. It is difficult to get it disassembled and reassembled correctly

Yes i guess its better not to mess with it. I was thinking of removing that hex nut and cleaning the innards but it i need to pull all the proportionate valve out from the car hen its risky business.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, jalexquijano said:

Yes i guess its better not to mess with it. I was thinking of removing that hex nut and cleaning the innards but it i need to pull all the proportionate valve out from the car hen its risky business.

To clean the switch it really has to be off the car. That means all the brakes would needed bleeding after that. You would also have to protect the paint on the frame rails. The brake fluid will remove it fairly quickly. You really can't clean it by just removing the sensor post.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/22/2018 at 5:26 PM, Patcon said:

To clean the switch it really has to be off the car. That means all the brakes would needed bleeding after that. You would also have to protect the paint on the frame rails. The brake fluid will remove it fairly quickly. You really can't clean it by just removing the sensor post.

Should i first attempt on bleeding the brakes and then see if the light goes off?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, jalexquijano said:

Should i first attempt on bleeding the brakes and then see if the light goes off?

If the sensor is grounded I don't think bleeding would help, but you could try it if you want too. Bleeding your brakes in a high humidity environment like Panama is not a bad idea.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It can be difficult to get it disassembled if it's badly corroded. The bolts on the end can be really tight and you need to take care not to damage the aluminum housing. I did not have new seals. I think I came up with some seals to reseal it. It would be in my build thread. Some brake safe grease would be nice too on reassembly. I cleaned everything and obviously replated it all. Be sure you put the correct end in the correct place. You should also test the sensor plug for continuity and isolation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Patcon said:

It can be difficult to get it disassembled if it's badly corroded. The bolts on the end can be really tight and you need to take care not to damage the aluminum housing. I did not have new seals. I think I came up with some seals to reseal it. It would be in my build thread. Some brake safe grease would be nice too on reassembly. I cleaned everything and obviously replated it all. Be sure you put the correct end in the correct place. You should also test the sensor plug for continuity and isolation.

Anyway of buying this part period?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, jalexquijano said:

Anyway of buying this part period?

Used, yes, new, I don't think so NLA

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎10‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 11:19 AM, joe newsom said:

can this piece be separated?

IMG_0981[4322].jpg

Can i remove this part with a wrench and clean it ? i have noticed that sometimes after a couple of minutes of running the car, the brake light comes off completely. Randomly but not every time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jalexquijano said:

Can i remove this part with a wrench and clean it ? i have noticed that sometimes after a couple of minutes of running the car, the brake light comes off completely. Randomly but not every time.

Yes, you should be able to remove it and clean it but I don't see how it will help

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Who's Online   15 Members, 0 Anonymous, 79 Guests (See full list)

  • Search Engine Meta Tags:
    classic, z, datsun, 240z, 260z, 280z, zcar, zed, s30, classiczcars.com, 240z.org, fairlady, 240, 260, 280, nissan, 240 z, 260 z, 280 z, zx, turbo, classic z, 280z cars, cars 240z, car forums, datsun, nissan, cars datsun, car club, 280zx, car, nissan zcar, classic z car,performance,300zx, car years, car raced, texas 350z, 300z, 350z, nissan racing , clubs car, zcca, club datsun
×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.