IGNORED

280Z High Beam Switch Repair

TomoHawk

On the 1978 280Z:

I would like to clean the headlamp dimmer switch contacts.  I think they are dirty or fouled, and the low headlamps aren't very bright.  Maybe the ground connection from the switch needs improvement.

Yes, I checked the voltages at the headlamp connectors, which are full battery voltage. I also cleaned the connections under the steering column, and most other terminals or connectors.

Can you take off the turn signal switch from the steering column without removing the steering wheel? 

If I need to, I could get a new switch, but I have time over the winter to try cleaning it first.

I was just into this area of my 77 (same as 78), and after being in there...

On ‎9‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 10:21 AM, TomoHawk said:

Can you take off the turn signal switch from the steering column without removing the steering wheel? 

I would say "Yes, but I think it will be a pain in the butt". Getting to the hardware is possible, but finicky. And I worry about damaging the springy horn contact.

With pulling the steering wheel being so easy, I would just remove it. It's just so much easier.

I'm pretty sure the switch assembly is two parts, with one part being a clamping mechanism.  Two screws hold it together.  I have a spare in the garage, from a 78.

I think that you could unplug the switch and ground the head lamp wires directly, to see if they get brighter.  If they don't get brighter then cleaning the switch won't help.

Found this picture on eBay.  I'm rich!

image.png

• 3 weeks later...

I was planning on making a simple wire to bypass the high beam switch, maybe with an inline toggle switch.  Then if I need new one or a rebuild, I think Dave or ZcarSource can do that, probably for less than a 'new' one.

On 9/14/2018 at 2:07 PM, Zed Head said:

I think that you could unplug the switch and ground the head lamp wires directly, to see if they get brighter.  If they don't get brighter then cleaning the switch won't help.

Did you bypass the switch to see if it's causing excess resistance?

Yes, I've seen that.  It's st00pid. 

What he does is to ground the low-beam side of the headlamps, so they are on, regardless of whether you switch on  the high-beams.  It's not a repair, just a cheap fix that bypasses the high-beam switch and could overload the headlamp switch or fuse.  I would only do that in an emergency situation.