IGNORED

1970 HLS30-06521 Re-Restoration

CanTechZ

11 hours ago, grannyknot said:

There is also these guys in Quebec, http://www.alfaparts.net/dat280.html.  They make each panel by hand, English wheel, bead roller and hammer/dolly.  They are making two rear quarter panels for my 510 right now.

da5105.jpg

I'd forgotten about Wolf Steel.  If the quality and fit are there, their S30 rear quarter looks like tremendous value.  Cdn$300 = US$225.  Looking forward to your report on the 510 quarter panels after you take delivery. 

• Like 1

I agree that it's great to see new and established vendors producing quality parts for our cars. The more we support them the more parts we will see in the future. When I asked KF Vintage JDM sales if they are planning to produce front frame rails their response was "We are planning to make the whole car but it going to take a lot"

The area that I am still looking for a solution is the connection for the front cross member.

20200918_110027_resized.jpg

8 hours ago, Namerow said:

I'd forgotten about Wolf Steel.  If the quality and fit are there, their S30 rear quarter looks like tremendous value.  Cdn$300 = US$225.  Looking forward to your report on the 510 quarter panels after you take delivery. 

I'm probably not going to see them until January, they said as soon as the lock down happened theirs orders skyrocketed.

On 10/10/2020 at 10:46 AM, CanTechZ said:

The area that I am still looking for a solution is the connection for the front cross member.

Check out Wheee's build thread.  He provides a nicely illustrated, step-by-step guide of how to fab this doubler plate (along with replacement of the entire frame rail, from front to rear).

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Namerow said:

Check out Wheee's build thread.  He provides a nicely illustrated, step-by-step guide of how to fab this doubler plate (along with replacement of the entire frame rail, from front to rear).

Thanks for this, even though I have read @wheee!'s thread I couldn't remember who posted that fix. For others see pages 36 thru 39 on Mark's build thread, great work.

• Like 1

This weekend I removed the E-brake cable and the long brake tubes and fuel lines from under the car.  I also removed the pedal box and related bits, and stripped the tar mat insulator from the LH front floor and under the seat. The interior is getting quite bare.

20201018_115936_HDR.jpg

20201018_120508_HDR.jpg

Here is how the floors look, It amazes me how rusty the drivers side is when, except for the toe board area, the passenger side is almost pristine. Even the joint in the floor behind the RH seat, and the areas around the seat supports are perfect.

Floor.jpg

To round out the weekend, I bagged up the parts that have been accumulating in my garage for safe storage, until I get to cleaning them up for re-assembly. I'm doing my best to stay organized.

20201018_121503.jpg

On 4/19/2020 at 4:18 AM, CanTechZ said:

Just getting back into the disassembly of my car after delay due to a few life obstacles. Back in late November I removed the exhaust from the resonator back.

20200418_094256.jpg

Last week removed the seats and seatbelts.

20200411_102043.jpg

20200411_100711.jpg

I will hopefully be posting more regularly, as I'm wanting to get the shell to the body shop sooner than later.

Cheers, Mike

You’ve done a great job looking after the car all these years mate! Everything looks brand new! I wish my PO looked after my 240z half as much....

Do you think most components will need restoration or can most stuff bolt straight back in the car after body and paint? 

Ryan 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, 240ZBUILTBYME said:

You’ve done a great job looking after the car all these years mate! Everything looks brand new! I wish my PO looked after my 240z half as much....

Do you think most components will need restoration or can most stuff bolt straight back in the car after body and paint? 

Ryan 

Thanks Ryan, I appreciate the kind words. Mechanically most components are in good shape, so it will mainly be a clean and re-assemble effort.  I do have a few oil leaks to deal with and the fuel pump will need to be replaced.  I will have to do lots of plating and source a few parts, like a mirror and shock tower vinyl, but most parts are reusable with a little elbow grease and some painting. I am lucky that my car has been kept mostly stock for it's whole life and retains virtually all of it's original parts. It is fortunate that most hard to find items, like the dash, console, early radio are in good to very good condition. Also electrically speaking my car has very few issues, mostly good except for the very intermittently working clock. LOL

I have really enjoyed the videos you have been posting in your build thread and seeing the progress.

Cheers, Mike

• Like 1

13 hours ago, CanTechZ said:

Thanks Ryan, I appreciate the kind words. Mechanically most components are in good shape, so it will mainly be a clean and re-assemble effort.  I do have a few oil leaks to deal with and the fuel pump will need to be replaced.  I will have to do lots of plating and source a few parts, like a mirror and shock tower vinyl, but most parts are reusable with a little elbow grease and some painting. I am lucky that my car has been kept mostly stock for it's whole life and retains virtually all of it's original parts. It is fortunate that most hard to find items, like the dash, console, early radio are in good to very good condition. Also electrically speaking my car has very few issues, mostly good except for the very intermittently working clock. LOL

I have really enjoyed the videos you have been posting in your build thread and seeing the progress.

Cheers, Mike

No worries mike 

just amazing to see what a looked after and loved car can look like after over 40 years. After you’re done it will see out it’s next 40 years easily. 

Thanks for your feedback on the videos mike, appreciate it. Please do comment on the videos with any advice you have for me, great to know experienced z enthusiasts such as yourself are watching and ready to guide this padawan learner.... 

ryan

• Like 1