IGNORED

1970 HLS30-06521 Re-Restoration

CanTechZ

Just getting back into the disassembly of my car after delay due to a few life obstacles. Back in late November I removed the exhaust from the resonator back.

20200418_094256.jpg

Last week removed the seats and seatbelts.

20200411_102043.jpg

20200411_100711.jpg

I will hopefully be posting more regularly, as I'm wanting to get the shell to the body shop sooner than later.

Cheers, Mike

• Like 2

Started stripping my doors, removed the door panels and chrome weather strips. Wick Humbles book was very useful, with his tips and the right tools I did no damage to the fragile door panels and chrome plastic covers on the passenger side grab handle. The passenger side still had the plastic film vapor barrier fully intact and even after removal is re useable.

20200419_073530.jpg

20191020_101217_HDR.jpg

20191020_100533.jpg

20191020_101257.jpg

This weekend I also pulled off the cowl cover to remove the wiper motor assembly and inspect heater fan intake duct and surrounding sheet metal. I'm happy to report that I don't have a rust issue in this area. Here is a good discussion, with fixes, on this subject:

Here are some pictures of what I found,

20200418_110128.jpg

20200417_125401.jpg

I was surprised to see that, except for over spray, the wiper motor cover was fully intact and that the grommet was also in very good condition.

20200418_104155.jpg20200418_104211.jpg

I also took some time and cleaned up the wiper motor cover.  Before and after pictures attached. Anyone know when the change to a bag for the cover happened?

20200417_143406_HDR.jpg

1970 wiper motor cover.jpg

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, CanTechZ said:

Here are some pictures of what I found

That cowl area looks remarkably clean!  Lucky for you because all reports indicate that it's a really challenging area to repair.

Your #1 photo is a nice reference guide for the shape of the foam panels that were added by Nissan as a running design change -- I believe in response to problems with the panel buckling if it was leaned on too hard (service techs, owners, bystanders) or, more likely, if it was stepped on (shippers).

The on-line parts manual doesn't really provide any clues about the date when the wiper motor cover was replaced with the bag.  Perhaps when the wiper motor was upgraded for a faster sweep rate in January 1971?

6 hours ago, CanTechZ said:

I also took some time and cleaned up the wiper motor cover.  Before and after pictures attached. Anyone know when the change to a bag for the cover happened?

I've never seen that kind of wiper motor cover before, only the bag type.  I used to own hls30-01955 and it came with the bag type cover, interesting.

19 hours ago, Namerow said:

That cowl area looks remarkably clean!  Lucky for you because all reports indicate that it's a really challenging area to repair.

Your #1 photo is a nice reference guide for the shape of the foam panels that were added by Nissan as a running design change -- I believe in response to problems with the panel buckling if it was leaned on too hard (service techs, owners, bystanders) or, more likely, if it was stepped on (shippers).

The on-line parts manual doesn't really provide any clues about the date when the wiper motor cover was replaced with the bag.  Perhaps when the wiper motor was upgraded for a faster sweep rate in January 1971?

@Namerow Thanks I am lucky that this area is in good shape, I'm definitely not so lucky in some other areas. I thought the foam cowl pads were there from the start, there is a TSB from Mar/71 that adds welded in supports to correct the issue with the flexing of the cowl cover.

TS71-16 Cowl Mod.JPG

Your theory about when the wiper motor cover bag was introduced does make sense.

13 hours ago, grannyknot said:

I've never seen that kind of wiper motor cover before, only the bag type.  I used to own hls30-01955 and it came with the bag type cover, interesting.

@grannyknot Not much info out there regarding the type of cover that I have. When I searched I did find that @240dkw has one on his 7/70 car. Both are Canadian cars that are very close in vin.

Yes, my car has the same cover, I asked the same question about them in my build thread and also got no clear answer. I think I saw one on one of the cars that @zKars had bought and sold a while ago. I wonder if it is a "UN" cold weather option that never made the parts book. @grannyknot, do you know if you 01955 car was a "UN" model?

12 minutes ago, 240dkw said:

Yes, my car has the same cover, I asked the same question about them in my build thread and also got no clear answer. I think I saw one on one of the cars that @zKars had bought and sold a while ago. I wonder if it is a "UN" cold weather option that never made the parts book. @grannyknot, do you know if you 01955 car was a "UN" model?

The idea of being an option is interesting, the parts book indicates "OP" in the model column. Maybe it is market specific.

Capture.JPG

3 hours ago, 240dkw said:

I'm not familiar "UN", what does that stand for?  How would you know if a Z  was UN or not?

The N in UN is for non emissions, UN cars were delivered during most of 1970 to Canada (except Ontario). Easy to spot by the "clean" E41 balance tube, single groove front pulley, no air pump among other things.

4 hours ago, grannyknot said:

Thanks @CanTechZ, okay, so then I don't know if it was a UN car or not, all the pollution controls had been removed by the time I got it.

One way to tell, even though most of the pollution stuff was removed, is if it has three or four lines under the car. A non emission car will have three, main fuel, fuel return line and brake lines. A emission car will have four, the extra vapour return line from the flow valve. Even if someone removed all of the emission stuff, I do not think they would bother to change all of the line rubber bits from four holes to three.