IGNORED

7" brake booster repair and restoration

Patcon

33 minutes ago, Namerow said:

IIRC, Steve Nix took a pass on replicating this piece because it's a safety-related item and would expose him to liability in that one failed in service.  Other low-volume parts casters will probably feel the same way.  The big parts rebuilding operations seem to have access to a source (although perhaps only because they purchased in volume from Nissan Service Parts years ago when the Z's were still 'current' and are now just working down through their inventory).  Seems questionable whether a rebuilder like Cardone would be willing to sell just the diaphragms -- even in a lot of a couple of hundred -- because it would be undercutting their primary business.  Still, maybe somebody like zcardepot.com might be willing to approach Cardone's business office with just such a proposition ("Sell us a hundred of the diaphragms and we'll carry your full rebuilt units in our catalog, too.')

Yes you are probably correct on all points.

I don't believe there is that much liability risk. If you make them under an LLC company your liability is very limited, and even if it fails you still have brakes. I suspect there are a number of z's out there with bad boosters that get driven and don't even realize it. I have considered making them myself but I really don't want to get another project added to the pile. I found some diaphragms a couple of years ago but I would have had to order like 1000 and that was a "non-starter". So we'll see what I can come up with. You would think a rebuilder would be fine with throwing some parts in a box and adding $50 on top and shipping it. That's probably better margins then they actually make on a rebuild in the shop, and easier too.

28 minutes ago, Patcon said:

Yes you are probably correct on all points.

I don't believe there is that much liability risk. If you make them under an LLC company your liability is very limited, and even if it fails you still have brakes. I suspect there are a number of z's out there with bad boosters that get driven and don't even realize it. I have considered making them myself but I really don't want to get another project added to the pile. I found some diaphragms a couple of years ago but I would have had to order like 1000 and that was a "non-starter". So we'll see what I can come up with. You would think a rebuilder would be fine with throwing some parts in a box and adding $50 on top and shipping it. That's probably better margins then they actually make on a rebuild in the shop, and easier too.

@zcardepot.com

Interested in pursuing the possibility of approaching Cardone, or similar, with a proposition like this?

34 minutes ago, Lumens said:

Weren't these Bendix boosters made in Japan under license from Bendix.

Like the SU's Datsun use look to be their version of the British SU.

The brake calipers Datsun used look just like Girling calipers used on Triumphs.

I had several British cars.

That wouldn't surprise me. What we really need to find is the guy that sells parts to these rebuilders. They probably can supply a diaphragm that would work.

2 hours ago, Namerow said:

Interested in pursuing the possibility of approaching Cardone, or similar, with a proposition like this?

I'm willing to pursue all options

2 hours ago, 240260280 said:

LOL, I was looking for diaphragms a few months ago. This is what I came up with as potential donors. Not sure if they fit like the original Hitachi diaphragms like you posted above.

You will be taking a chance if you try.

7"

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mustang-65-66-Bendix-Brake-Booster-Major-Repair-Kit/171755696030?hash=item27fd6fef9e%3Ag%3Aj~4AAOSw~AVYnPaD&_sacat=0&_nkw=+brake+booster+repair+kit&_from=R40&rt=nc&LH_TitleDesc=0|0

DUDE!!! That Mustang diaphragm looks really promising. The same dots around the perimeter and everything. That would be a home run if it fit! Mustang parts aren't going anywhere. I'll order one. I am ok with the risk... :beer:

• Like 1