IGNORED

Finally Taking the Plunge - EFI

zKars

6 hours ago, Patcon said:

Both the intake pump by tanks inc and the Holley blanket are really cool. The Holley is really neat in that the whole thing doesn't need to be submerged. The Holley video was fascinating although it sounds like the GPM volume of the fuel pump can over come the surface tension of the fuel blanket if it's not sized properly. Not cheap but neat tech!

Was just tuning a Customers car in Portland last night.AFR started going lean for some reason.  Race car with Fuel cell and Holley Hydra-Mat. There was like NO fuel showing in the fuel Cell. Just what was absorbed in the Hydra-Mat. Amazing!!! 

Richard, I will indeed be using your services regardless of which system I go with. This does l'ean' me in the haltech direction ? 

You mention the 6 cylinder preference, and reading the webpage it clearly best for 6, but there is a statement in the 'Engine Suitability" section that says 'basic 4 and 6 cylinder engines' so it will be fine regardless, and would suit whatever I do in the future.

I used the Tank inc for my EFI Z. So far very happy with the results. Tank Inc version does require cutting into a tank. The Holley mat would probably eliminate posssibility of cavitation, but I have yet to starve my motor out yet and I run it low on gas a lot. 

• Like 1

I've ordered the tanks-inc pump. Great feedback about your pump's performance in low fuel Steve. It has a small baffle tub and a sock - like thing on the inlet so it should be ok in all but near-near-near zero fuel situations.

Actually my favorite way to be caught in the "Im out of gas again!?!?!?!  Nooooooo"  situation is to have everything going fine, then start going up a hill.... That last quart sloshes to the back, and the damn car dies; half way up said hill;  and funny thing you can't push that Datsun that is now blocking traffic on the busiest freeway in town up that same said hill and out of the freaking way...... because you're on a hill !!!!  Arghhhhh". I'm moving back to southern Saskatchewan where there are no hills. Or trees. 

Oh right, the point of that copious rambling.  Going to mount the pump in the BACK of the tank rather than in the middle. Going DOWN a hill and running out of gas is actually fun.

Edited by zKars
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...

I have a 1976 280Z. Fuel sending unit and fuel lines are on the front side of the tank. ( 77 and 78 are on top )  I'm wondering if there is enough room on Top of the Fuel Tank to install a Tank Inc  Universal kit? 

Anyone done this conversion on a 75 or 76 280Z tank? 

Sending unit is still in the same place right? I think there would enough room. 

If you were worried about room for the lines clearing the body -between the tank and body- you could adjust where the tank sits . You could lower the tank by not tightening the J hooks all the way

I have this intank unit in my 76 tank that is shoe horned into my 73 Z. It does fit in and snuggle next to the stock level sender without it rubbing on the intank pump hardware. If you put it in the right place. I got lucky. Let me see if I can find the pictures.

I did have to cut a small hole in the hatch floor to clear the fittings on top if the tank. Maybe in a real 76 there would be room, but I doubt it.

Okay here is a picture of where it goes.

56E61DF3-B9D5-40B6-A3C7-71C016E7864C-1540-00000114771450FE.jpeg

Edited by zKars