IGNORED

California 1978 Datsun 280z Restomod

Kevin McSweeney

You can chip it out but if you are going to sand blast it you need to remove the oil  baffle entirely, lots of sand can hide in there and destroy the engine later.  I used 3Bond 1184 to seal the oil baffle and securing screws, it has held up well over the years.  Best to wait until the powder coating is done before reinstalling the baffle.

• Like 2

On 6/1/2019 at 2:49 AM, grannyknot said:

You can chip it out but if you are going to sand blast it you need to remove the oil  baffle entirely, lots of sand can hide in there and destroy the engine later.  I used 3Bond 1184 to seal the oil baffle and securing screws, it has held up well over the years.  Best to wait until the powder coating is done before reinstalling the baffle.

Ok, I spent some more time on this valve cover today. Removed as much of the silicone as I could and took out the baffle and power washed the whole thing. Looks ready to sand blast and powder coat.

valve cover.JPG

valve cover baffle crack.jpg

Edited by Kevin McSweeney

I think that little crack would only be a concern if it extended to the outside of the valve cover, besides it will be covered in sealant when you are done.  Ask your powder coater to include the valve cover with a couple of other batches that are going into the oven before he coats the cover, it has been soaked in oil for 40 yrs and it will need to out gas in the oven for a while. If the cover doesn't get baked first it will out gas under the plastic coating and you'll have little bubbles popping up through the coating or at least that is what happened when I did it.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Captain Obvious said:

Of course I can't tell without actually seeing it with my own two beady eyes, but I don't think that's a crack. It just looks like a casting flaw.

See if you can catch a fingernail on it... Does it go in (like a crack), or does it actually protrude out?

You are correct, it's more like a scratch, nothing to worry about I suspect. The valve cover is now at the powder coater. Will post pics when it comes back.

Also decided to give the transmission a degrease, clean and power wash this afternoon. Came out pretty good, some before and after below. I know the trans works well so won't be messing with it too much. It's a 5-speed. Just replacing the shifter bushing and boot, and changing the oil. Also have a new mount insulator coming and I had the mount crossmember zinc plated with new bushings.

If anyone can tell me any more about my transmission - what the numbers mean, whether it's original or not, gear ratios, etc. - I would appreciate it. Haven't done much searching on this topic to be honest.

IMG-1389.JPG

IMG-1394.JPG

ORG-DSC01773.JPG

ORG-DSC01774.JPG

ORG-DSC01775.JPG

ORG-DSC01776.JPG

ORG-DSC01777.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

I was also planning to go with stainless steel fuel tank straps, but decided to be a bit more creative (and save some money for a change) and make use of the fact that I have access to free plating services. Got my old straps clear zinc plated and mounted some new rubber as an insulator. Fuel tank is also freshly blasted, sealed and painted, ready to go back in the car (Not a good photograph but it looks good in person). Looking for a new sending unit but they seem to be hard to find..

IMG-3258.JPG

IMG-3259.JPG

IMG-3260.JPG

IMG-0994.JPG