IGNORED

Stalling issue(under throttle)

NA&CH

Hello Z family,

***Disclaimer I am completely new to the older Z world. I have an 03, 08  nismo now the papa 240z. ***

I purchased the Z feom BaT. Car started and drove perfectly. Under throttle and idle. It had a straight 3" exhaust and I could not take the "noise". I swapped the headers and exhaust for the Zstory system. Header through to the twin muffler. I took the car out for a drive and giving it throttle it starts to cut out around 5k and then shuts down. I restart and the same thing. 

When I first got the car home I was driving around town 30+ miles. Car shows Breakfast cruising. Loud cruises. But no issues at all. Cars fuel level would be above 1/2 tank at the minimum. 

Tank level now is at 1/8 full. I am going to assume I have sucked something in the lines but unsure. Take looks clean outside. No rot or major rust. I am going to drain the 1/8 in the tank clean the filter and clean out(change the easy lines the ones I can see). 

The Z has an electric fuel pump installed. Zstory header and exhaust. Su round tops with k&n filters. 

Could the su need rejet? Clean out? Am I thinking right with the fuel system? And is there anything I should be looking for or at whole under the car?

Thanks everyone in advance for any help that would get me enjoying the Z. 

Chris 

20180711_190749.jpg

20180711_190741.jpg

20180711_190821.jpg

20180711_192423.jpg

20180711_190829.jpg

20180702_175440.jpg

20180702_175449.jpg

20180706_063720.jpg

Funny, I saw the AC comment and completely missed the first post.  Didn't click.

To add to and follow SteveJ's comment, replace those filters.  With just one.  Each filter adds a pressure drop, even when clean.  Pretty sure I see three in serial.  That's a lot of work for the fuel pump.

image.png

people forget about those filters and they get nasty over 40 plus years. ?

It's the one that goes over the bolt, "internal gas filter" below.  I took mine out when I rebuilt the carbs.  I installed one of those glass filters right before the mechanical pump.  It stays nice and full now that I have the floats adjusted correctly.

Image result for 240z banjo bolt classiczcars.com

Replaced the filter tonight. Drained some gas and the tank looks ro be clean. It does has some particles. Sand like. The old filter was FULL of soot doing its job. I purchased a new fuel pump as well. Plan on changing that if nothing changes with this simple fix. 

I have never messed with carbs but tonight I dis remove the filter and find some velocity stacks in there. I am going to clean the K&N filters. 

Would changing the exhaust cause the car to lean out or become to rich and cause this sputter?

Some pictures attached. 

Thank you all again for your help. 

Chris 

20180712_202630.jpg

20180712_202645.jpg

20180712_202640.jpg

20180712_202635.jpg

20180712_202702.jpg

20180712_193023.jpg

20180712_193254.jpg

20180712_194732.jpg

20180712_193130.jpg

On 7/11/2018 at 6:26 PM, NA&CH said:

took the car out for a drive and giving it throttle it starts to cut out around 5k and then shuts down. I restart and the same thing. 

What does your tachometer do when it "stall"s at high RPM?  Does it drop like a rock even though you're in gear?  Might be an ignition problem.  You have one of the early electronic ignition systems.

image.png

It sure does drop like a rock. And jumps to full redline and then back to idle. It does it at higher rpm. 5k and above them it shuts off. Then I press the clutch in and it goes back to rpm.

That first pic is the fuel pumps correct? I believe it is the one off zcardepot. I just bought the one autozone has on their shelf. 53$ 

What would be a better ignition setup? I'll look through some items. 

Thank you for your help 

Chris

If you're still in gear with the car rolling and the clutch engaged (wheels turning the engine), and the tach doesn't match engine speed that's a sign of no spark.  The tach is just a spark counter.

I was posting in another thread recently about the Fireball system.  If you have the optical trigger under your distributor cap in place of points then some trickery will be necessary if you want to keep avoid getting a new distributor.  Or you can just get a 280ZX distributor.  Or a 123 ignition system.  Many options.