IGNORED

resurrecting a 1977 280Z

MM569457

Greetings,

Ive been a Z owner in my own right since 2008 (1992 300ZX N/A) but inherited I inherited a 1971 240Z which needed a lot of work. In 2012 I unfortunately had to sell it to a good friend (ortegadrives on youtube). My father told me when I sold the 240Z that his 1977 280Z was as good as mine. My father has a friend interested in buying my 300ZX, which currently has electrical issues but overall solid car regardless.

I purchased a Rebello 3.1 Stroker (actually from Dave Record in 2007 to install in the 240Z, still best purchase of my life). The stock 280Z engine was removed roughly 3 years ago by myself and OrtegaDrives and the engine bay is empty. We have a 5 speed transmission from an 82 280ZX, and a R200 LSD rear end.

I have a list of to do items:

• Remove and clean fuel tank
  • remove rear end/install R200
  • drop in Rebello w/5 speed transmission
  • new fuel filter/fuel pump
  • New fuel line (possibly)
  • new tires/wheels
  • brake job
  • bushings

Other than that, this car hasn't ran since July 1996. Is there anything I may be overlooking that must be checked out?

Thanks for any helpful hints or advice!

Mike

Edited by Mike mcdade
correction

What are you going to use to run the 3.1?  Carbs or the 1977 EFI?  The word is that the stock EFI system doesn't work well with high performance engines.  It's not tunable.  Plan ahead.

That 82 5 speed likes 3.9 gears in the back.  Might be a little "boggy" off the line with the normal 77 3.54.

Looks like fun.  Several 77's in the works on the site right now.

• 3 weeks later...

Stopped by the old man’s house today to get some pictures and to finalize the to-do list. I have 3K to get this car up and running. Primary focus will be on drive train, engine, and wheels. The engine bay is clear, but sitting in a garage has left its share of dust and dirt. Plan is to use an pressure hose to blow away dirt and grit and to use simple green to clean the engine bay. Goal is to sand and spray paint black.

A1C6708B-5D9E-4B7E-893F-4AF762CC1AA4.jpeg

F8CF0EB0-EA6F-4B2E-93B9-2BE0DAD81729.jpeg

New stock brake components will be fine. You'll have trouble getting the aluminum rear drums but the fronts are cheap. About as cheap to get new rotors as having the old ones turned. Replace the wheel bearings and races too. I bought some cheap stainless flex lines from the hardline to the calipers front and back for $50 I think off ebay.

If it's like the ones I've bought you'll have a hell of a time getting the rear drums off. Take your time with a rubber hammer or a small sledge hammer. Good luck.

3 hours ago, siteunseen said:

New stock brake components will be fine. You'll have trouble getting the aluminum rear drums but the fronts are cheap. About as cheap to get new rotors as having the old ones turned. Replace the wheel bearings and races too. I bought some cheap stainless flex lines from the hardline to the calipers front and back for $50 I think off ebay.

If it's like the ones I've bought you'll have a hell of a time getting the rear drums off. Take your time with a rubber hammer or a small sledge hammer. Good luck.

Yea it was a nightmare taking it off a 240z I owned.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Today I prepped the engine bay for painting. Sprayed simple green across the walls of the bay to scrub off dirt and grime. There were tons of grease towards the bottom. After a couple hours I actually saw portions of the original late 70s orange paint. I remember back in the 80s when the car was orange with the large crash bumpers before all the mods.

I used rustolem black gloss. Most of it was completed today, but I have to finish the firewall another day.

I did remove the transmission from under the car as well.... and spelled 20+ year old tranny fluid all over myself and the floor.

220C66BC-0AAD-4870-A246-4F11374E0A8A.jpeg

1027CAE9-4B83-488B-B164-300A7DE7C803.jpeg

9FCD1C70-B004-44EF-883F-E092043B17DF.jpeg

ED2EE439-3074-4E5D-95B8-E9E6BD5D4A6F.jpeg

7ADCF29C-E6D7-4BC3-8D84-0701EAA75B9E.jpeg

309F4F8F-CEBA-4506-B8D0-B83C1BBD1003.jpeg

735E7C1E-E63C-4D0A-9C03-B0B33D09E881.jpeg