IGNORED

resurrecting a 1977 280Z

MM569457

I was able to reinstall both half-shafts today. Pretty easy work. The gas tank may need to be replaced, the radiator shop I dropped it off at said the varnish is too gunked up. They will try one final time to clean out the tank. May need to find a new gas tank.

AEFB18A2-A869-4DFC-8A29-53B330A92671.jpeg

BB9DEE1F-E94D-4C40-AEC6-180678FD935C.jpeg

2 hours ago, Mike mcdade said:

The gas tank may need to be replaced, the radiator shop I dropped it off at said the varnish is too gunked up. They will try one final time to clean out the tank. May need to find a new gas tank.

I had a rad shop "boil" a tank twice with no success. They didn't want to try anything else other than their vat.  I used Muriatic acid  and it did the trick but it tends to start rusting again really fast unless you neutralize it quickly.  If the feed and return lines are clogged, paint thinner works well also.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Alright it’s been a minute since my last post. With Covid, military deployment overseas, and the car being 30 minutes away from the house made it difficult to work on the car.

that being said, I’m currently rebuilding the drum brakes. Purchased a new kit from the Z-store and will be doing the rebuild this week. Settled on Konig Rewind 16x7s, but I guess they are back ordered for months…. BOOO!

at any rate I need to get the car moved. Once the drum brakes are complete I can put it on a trailer and move to my house. It’s pretty dangerous with the driveway being on an incline. I will need the drum brakes working to put it on the trailer safely.

711570B2-4FE1-40F2-91D9-D6FD0026C470.jpeg

F368AE52-77BD-4BE0-8821-080178DE31F7.jpeg

11CC5708-12E5-4E85-AF53-6121E1AB8D70.jpeg

11 hours ago, grannyknot said:

Just noticed that the output and return gas lines are awfully exposed to debris flying up from the rear wheel, you might want to fabricate a sheet metal guard that will give them some protection.

That`s a big tank, you should get a good 400 miles between fill ups.

I believe this is the plate you are talking about, I haven’t put it back on yet.

39DF3911-BC93-4614-A44F-41F94CD0C1A6.jpeg