IGNORED

resurrecting a 1977 280Z

MM569457

A lot of advice the past few days. Had the flywheel and clutch installed…. Then realized they may be different sizes.

figured or they are both 225mm.  Then I realized I didn’t swap out the pilot bushing. Everything came off and had that fixed. Thanks to autozone for having a puller for rent.

moved into the the transmission. Replaced the throw out bearing and reinstalled the fork and bearing.

I’ve heard the flywheel and pressure plate doesn’t need to be balanced because the L28 is internally balanced? What’s the verdict? 

FFDC38F5-EC7D-4996-9C5A-156723A0BBE3.jpeg

013E131A-4D93-4D35-9BA8-F932812314BB.jpeg

EDA791C5-C159-4A4F-B359-E496357FB5E3.jpeg

FAC06134-06AC-4898-BEE0-92629AF1AC38.jpeg

D3CD8FDB-98D7-488D-87C5-279AE5E121FF.jpeg

55FFDF56-04FE-4903-B9EE-B6B9EE3478FE.jpeg

Edited by MM569457
Wrong pic

I saw your other post, wherever it is, about the pressure plate fit.  Had a vague memory of a past thread about it, it's out there somewhere.  Just now remembered the details.  What I recall is that you can bolt a 240mm pressure plate to a 225 mm flywheel, using just 6 holes of the 9.  If you use a 225mm clutch disc you should get 225mm performance but the outer edges of the pressure plate will not contact the disc.  It will be like a 225mm clutch.  Or you could use a 240mm disc but it would be riding on unsurfaced 225mm flywheel.

Not clear what parts you ended up using or if you measured the parts.  If I recall your other post, and from the pictures here, you have bolted a 240mm pressure plate to a 225mm flyhweel.  Disc size unknown.

Anyway...why did you grease the flywheel bolt holes in the crankshaft end?  That's bad.  You want them clean, and maybe even with some thread locker.  Probably okay if you torqued them to spec but not really recommended.

As far as balancing, you'll find guys that balance everything as an assembly, because they can and have made race engines.  For insurance.  But the parts are designed to be mix and match.  Everything is balanced separately.

40 minutes ago, MM569457 said:

I wasn’t greasing the bolt holes, I was trying to get the pilot bearing out by packing grease.

it was a mess… I cleaned the grease out.

Next time get a bolt slightly smaller than the bushing id and stuff the hole with bread. Hit the bolt with a hammer and add more bread. Repeat the process until the bushing (or bearing) slides out. It really works well and clean-up is a breeze.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

A little more background to the install. Our cherry picker wasn’t long enough to place the engine and transmission in connected, so we had to remove them separately. 

Aftermarket motor mounts I purchased were Fowled up (paint/plastic were inside the bolt holes) and we had to tap and die M8x1.25 to clean them out. Had to fight the alignment getting the motor mounted for a bit.

mounted the transmission from under the car. All in all a day effort.

• Like 1