IGNORED

We're bringin' back the Flat Tops!

motorman7

While I'm drooling over the new paint photos, I've been browsing the net for "brass 1/4" fuel filters", "Hitachi in carb body fuel filters" and similar searches.  I also emailed Burlen Ltd, who now own the manufacturing rights for SU carbs and parts, and advertise parts for SUs, including SU HIF carbs.    I had asked them about SU HIF carbs and if they had any fuel filters that might fit the Hitachi SU HIF flat tops.  They do not, but I'm impressed with their apparent efforts in response:

"Dear Mr jayhawk,

There was some development between SU and Hitachi for these carburettors.
 Unfortunately the only piece that is a direct exchange is the central metering needle.
 We do have some SU carburettor build sheet however these don’t state which particular vehicles, just pair of HS4 or HS6.
 We have tried contacting Hitachi direct as there are drawing numbers but to no avail.

Sorry not to be able to help further. "

So no joy there, but I'm impressed that they have drawing numbers and apparently tried to contact Hitachi. 

My internet searches have turned up a lot of dead ends, but some possibilities. 

On ebay in the UK (from a dealer in the US...?) https://www.ebay.ie/itm/TRIUMPH-NORTON-BSA-UNIVERSAL-FUEL-PETROL-TAP-BRASS-GAUZE-FILTER-1-8-GAS-THREAD/254054636004?hash=item3b26d619e4:g:sOkAAOSwRYNb~AXw:rk:1:pf:0

It appears from other info in that ebay ad that the size of the brass parts  may be very close to what is needed. 

image.png

I then found some internet into indicating some holly and other downdraft carbs had in-the-carb-body filters, but while they were cylindrical, the ones I could find were too wide.

But I have found out that some Hitachi 2bbl downdraft carbs used this technique, and ran across this youtube video on replacing one that appears to be identical to what they used in the HMB46Ws. 

"removing mesh filter, datsun hitachi carb"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tU_jNSPFwP4

I don't know any model numbers yet.  I have found some rebuild kits for various 2bbl hitachi carbs, but none of those kits have any fuel filters...:-( 

Will keep looking.  Maybe the datsun fans on Ratsun have some ideas.

Edited by jayhawk

1 hour ago, grannyknot said:

Damn, that is so sweet, what a great colour.  Did you do all the body work and paint prep?  Whoever is doing it has some mad skills.

No, I leave that to the experts.  Miguel at https://www.facebook.com/CustomsByMiguel/ does all the body work and paint.  He is pretty amazing...and a bit slow, but worth the wait.

• Like 1

OK, she is safely back home.  The paint looks amazing, better than the pictures.  Looking forward to finishing up the underside and then installing parts.

The air intake ducts look amazing.  Too bad no one will see them.

DSC_0934.JPG

DSC_0935.JPG

DSC_0937.JPG

DSC_0943.JPG

DSC_0945.JPG

DSC_0946.JPG

DSC_0947.JPG

Edited by motorman7
  • Like 4

Next step is coating the underside with POR-15 and then spraying on the undercoat over that.  The underside was sandblasted at the paint shop so a good portion of the old undercoating is gone with a lot of bare metal showing. I did not remove all of the old undercoating since the underside is in pretty nice condition.   I got most of the passenger side done this evening.  

DSCF7532.JPG

DSCF7534.JPG

DSCF7535.JPG

DSCF7540.JPG

DSCF7543.JPG

DSCF7547.JPG

DSCF7549.JPG

DSCF7551.JPG

Edited by motorman7

Finished the complete underside with POR-15, then added undercoat.  Started assembly.  Put on the 4 struts and started the brake line installation.  Camera does not do the car justice.  Not sure why the plating looks too silverish....paint too glossy.  

DSCF7578.JPG

DSCF7572.JPG

DSCF7561.JPG

DSCF7554.JPG

DSCF7567.JPG

DSCF7571.JPG

Edited by motorman7
  • Like 1

The middle portion of the throttle rod bracket seems to disappear from the reflection of the blue paint----really threw me off for a second, as the end of the bracket appeared to be hovering in space!

Shiny?  I reckon!! Beautiful!

LOL

2 hours ago, Zup said:

The middle portion of the throttle rod bracket seems to disappear from the reflection of the blue paint----really threw me off for a second, as the end of the bracket appeared to be hovering in space!

Shiny?  I reckon!! Beautiful!

LOL

Not sure why I am getting so much reflection.  I tried a few more pics using my LED light and no flash.  Color looks a little better but paint is almost mirror like.  check out the reflection on the right of the second pic.  That's weird. Obviously, I am not a photographer.

DSCF7579.JPG

DSCF7583.JPG

DSCF7586.JPG

• Mike featured this topic