IGNORED

We're bringin' back the Flat Tops!

motorman7

Cleaned up and re-built both rear brake cylinders. Installed the rear brake assembly with new brake shoes and springs for the passenger side rear strut.

Also got the chrome in last week.  They were pretty quick, taking just over two weeks.  I think I will keep them wrapped up until I am ready to install.

DSCF7166.JPG

DSCF7158.JPG

DSCF7161.JPG

DSCF7164.JPG

DSCF7165.JPG

Got one of the front calipers rebuilt  (Before and After pic below, kind of),  Funny thing, when you order front brake and rear brake shoes, you get 2 sets in each box.  When you order a caliper rebuild kit, you only get a kit for one caliper.  What's up with that? So, need to order another caliper rebuild kit. I will order those along with the new brake flex hose lines.

I put the short brake line that is near the backing plate on.  Those look pretty cool, so thought I would take a pic.

Started cleaning up the fuel and brake lines.  Will send those out to plate shortly.  Taking the Brake drums and rotors to get turned tomorrow.  Hopefully the brake drums will be OK.  They have some deep grooves in them.

DSCF7177.JPG

DSCF7180.JPG

DSCF7174.JPG

DSCF7184.JPG

DSCF7183.JPG

DSCF7182.JPG

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Patcon said:

What was the refinishing process for the front calipers?

First I did an overall clean with paint thinner just to remove the grease and brake dust.  Then wire wheeled each caliper side to remove all of the rust.  Then high temp clear coat.  I was able to get most of the rust off with the wire wheel.   I had to use my drill with a small attachment to get into the crevices.

The tricky thing (kind of dangerous really) is getting the pistons out to replace the internal seal.  The first thing I did is use some Kroil on the piston edge to help loosen it. After letting it sit for a day, I used  compressed air to force out the piston. On the slave side, there are two feed lines.  I put my finger over one hole and used compressor air in the other to force the piston out.  The important thing was to aim the piston at a 'backstop' because once it lets loose, it really flies.  It is very tempting to watch the process, but I pretty much just turn my head away and pulse the compressed air till I hear the loud 'pop'.  The master side is a bit more tricky.  I had to plug the main feed line and the bleed line hole with threaded bolts, then repeat the process.  After the pistons were out, I used lacquer thinner to clean off most of the gummy residue.  For the residue that would not come off with the lacquer thinner, I lightly cleaned the area with 1000 grit sand paper.

1 hour ago, motorman7 said:

First I did an overall clean with paint thinner just to remove the grease and brake dust.  Then wire wheeled each caliper side to remove all of the rust.  Then high temp clear coat.  I was able to get most of the rust off with the wire wheel.   I had to use my drill with a small attachment to get into the crevices.

The tricky thing (kind of dangerous really) is getting the pistons out to replace the internal seal.  The first thing I did is use some Kroil on the piston edge to help loosen it. After letting it sit for a day, I used  compressed air to force out the piston. On the slave side, there are two feed lines.  I put my finger over one hole and used compressor air in the other to force the piston out.  The important thing was to aim the piston at a 'backstop' because once it lets loose, it really flies.  It is very tempting to watch the process, but I pretty much just turn my head away and pulse the compressed air till I hear the loud 'pop'.  The master side is a bit more tricky.  I had to plug the main feed line and the bleed line hole with threaded bolts, then repeat the process.  After the pistons were out, I used lacquer thinner to clean off most of the gummy residue.  For the residue that would not come off with the lacquer thinner, I lightly cleaned the area with 1000 grit sand paper.

Thanks

What high temp clear did you use?

I love this thread, and am intending to keep the flat tops on my 1977-built, UK-model, 260Z when it is (eventually) restored. In respect of the front calipers, I have a pair of genuine NOS LH and RH ones, where the images below could be used as a reference for people completing stock restorations. They have a matt, grey, finish in stock form, with various green, blue, black and red paint spots daubed at various locations (see images). One of the calipers also has some white paint daubed on the front of the pad. The caliper bolts have black paint daubed on the bolt heads.

IMG_0376.JPG

IMG_0378.JPG

IMG_0380.JPG

IMG_0383.JPG

IMG_0384.JPG

IMG_0386.JPG

IMG_0388.JPG

Caliper (1).JPG

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jerz said:

. In respect of the front calipers, I have a pair of genuine NOS LH and RH ones, where the images below could be used as a reference for people completing stock restorations. They have a matt, grey, finish in stock form, with various green, blue, black and red paint spots daubed at various locations (see images). One of the calipers also has some white paint daubed on the front of the pad. The caliper bolts have black paint daubed on the bolt heads.

Interesting.  So looks like a matte grey paint on the steel.  Probably to prevent corrosion.  The matte grey kind of makes them look like aluminum.

• Mike featured this topic