IGNORED

New 280z "Hawk" - wish me luck.

smackhq

New member. 

Middle aged guy who's always loved Z's. I remember trying to convince my mother (million years ago) that I needed that 1972 240z. Needless to say that discussion ended quickly. 

Life moves on, get a career, my lady, 3 kids and years pass by. Dreams of a Z aren't the highest of priorities but as many know, those dreams come back and I for one am a bit of a believer of "fate". Fate is that at work my Technical Project Manager came to me one day and said "Say I hear you like car projects". I chuckled a bit but then I heard that it was a Z and that old dream file cabinet in back of my head was dusted off and opened back up. He just wanted it to "be gone from his driveway" but of course its not that easy so a very small amount of money ($500) was exchanged to let it go. Wife hates it, kids hate it, family is laughing but what I said about fate for me is real and I like this dirty rusty girl. She's my Z now. I'll bring her back or so I hope.

Here's the bad: 

1. Engine. Swapped in L28ET. I have NO idea if it runs, has compression, etc. Wiring harness pulled off, intake manifold has much of the emissions parts pulled but not plugged. 
  2. Wiring. ECU and harness all pulled. Nothing connected.
  3. Rust. She's got some common rust holes around her that I'll need to get to eventually. Not too worried about that and the main structure seems ok.

Good:

1. Engine. Well it does has a swapped in L28ET with 5spd transmission and connected. I mean...at least I have that.
  2. Megasquirt. Came with Megasquirt 2, wiring harness. 
  3. Intercooler kit. Came with new in box JDM intercooler kit. 
  4. Has rebuilt in box distributor and oil pump shaft. 
  5. Body (dont laugh) seems straight. Doesnt appear to have any physical damage, doors and hatches close solidly and clean. Hood is different story but not worried.

Priority:

1. Megasquirt. Verify its put together correctly. I have simulator, relay board, wiring harness on order.
  2. Wiring. Megasquirt tested I could move on this for basic setup to engage engine. 
  3. Intake manifold. Gotta plug the plethora of holes left from equipment missing (that I dont have in box).
  4. Engine. Get running. Test compression.

Everything else to is secondary.

That's my starting story gang but I'll admit to everyone that I'm no expert and this project is a bit more than I've take on before but I think with this groups support and help I'll get her back.

I'm going to search the forums for people that might have tackled this same situation and are hopefully in the area. Seattle Metro.

Thanks for any suggestions, help and support. Here I go....

cheers

Rob

Pics in my album

My Album

0617181223_HDR.jpg

0617181315_HDR.jpg

Edited by smackhq
added pic

I know....hate them but its what I have to work with. Somewhere on the ginormous list maybe I could remove and replace it but man, that's way down there. For now its more of "Stop any water intrusion and get it into my garage". Need to stop rust where I can.

The brake fluid looks clean.

Looks promising.  I see that you said that you have a new distributor but the turbos have the CAS in the distributor.  You might make a good list of your engine parts to be sure of what you have and might need.  It looks like a complete turbo engine was swapped in, not just turbo parts.  It has an oil cooler.

5 minutes ago, smackhq said:

Worth the challenge?

Is she worth saving? I've seen worse rust and yes I know the story of rust and there is probably more but the frame looks fine, amazingly the floor is surface rust but solid. 

$500 is a win win. If you want to get out of the house then heck yeah it's worth the challenge. 

I've deleted the EGR crap off my '77 so maybe I can help with that. There's some other members with MS system that could help.

Personally I'd rip all that stuff off and put carbs on there. Lot's of info on that. Recent thread actually and I have one saved on my laptop I can post when I'm not using this dumb phone.

37 minutes ago, Zed Head said:

The brake fluid looks clean.

Looks promising.  I see that you said that you have a new distributor but the turbos have the CAS in the distributor.  You might make a good list of your engine parts to be sure of what you have and might need.  It looks like a complete turbo engine was swapped in, not just turbo parts.  It has an oil cooler.

Roger that. I'm compiling a list a best as I can now. Again....much of this is new territory so bear with me brothers (and sisters). ? 

Ya not sure on the distributor. Why a rebuilt and why a oil pump shaft?? Any thoughts? I can take more pics. 

Engine looks complete P90 head L54 block ( I believe). 

Thanks for help.

Edited by smackhq

11 minutes ago, Zed Head said:

I have an 81 280ZX engine with all the parts to swap right in, including EFI harness.  Down in the Portland area.

Playing with MS looks like fun though.

Working on soldering up the MS simulator right now in garage but I have to run to sons soccer match. ? 

I'll let you know how it goes on MS. 

28 minutes ago, siteunseen said:

$500 is a win win. If you want to get out of the house then heck yeah it's worth the challenge. 

I've deleted the EGR crap off my '77 so maybe I can help with that. There's some other members with MS system that could help.

Personally I'd rip all that stuff off and put carbs on there. Lot's of info on that. Recent thread actually and I have one saved on my laptop I can post when I'm not using this dumb phone.

I think so....rust worries me but again, it looks more more body for most part. Not sure until I get into it.

I'm really trying to figure out what to plug and fix on engine even before getting to wiring. 

I have a lot to learn....but I'm in.

35 minutes ago, smackhq said:

Roger that. I'm compiling a list a best as I can now. Again....much of this is new territory so bear with me brothers (and sisters). ? 

Ya not sure on the distributor. Why a rebuilt and why a oil pump shaft?? Any thoughts? I can take more pics. 

Engine looks complete P90 head L54 block ( I believe). 

Thanks for help.

More loose parts from box. 

Any thoughts? 

I feel like rookie for asking but pic2 is like a flapper almost like MAF but not. Why is it opened? I've read some thread about transferring parts from the L28et engine to the 280z when swapping but I thought it was when trying to use original wiring harness. Not sure.

I have 2 ECUs. 

I have 2 wiring harnesses. Assuming one from 280z and one from the 280zx. Not sure.

0630181538.jpg

0630181537.jpg

0630181536.jpg

0630181535a.jpg

0630181534a.jpg

0630181534.jpg

Edited by smackhq