Mike

GQ Magazine Interview

Hey guys, so I just had a great interview with one of the writers for GQ Magazine and GQ Style Magazine out of New York.  They are doing a 6-page spread about the Classic Z and it will be published around the August 2018 timeframe.

We had a lot of fun on the phone and I talked about the classic Z and our club for most of the interview.  We went into depth about why the Z is so great, and my final conclusion was community.  If it wasn't for this car, this group, and all of the friends I've made along the way this car would be just another boring classic.  Keep your eyes posted for updates as well as promotional material forthcoming over the next month.  

By the way, if you're wondering WHY GQ magazine is doing such as spread... He says this car has stood out as an icon to the classic car world.  It's got a huge following and the classic Z's are showing up at more and more auto shows and events.  They want to put a spotlight on the world we live in and show how much our community of Z enthusiasts keep this wonderful hobby alive.  They will be doing an article similar to this one.

I'm happy to see a stylish magazine like GQ take an interest and promote our way of life.  Keep it up guys...

Mike

may_print_cover.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The writer also contacted the ZCON email list. I think Chris Karl was going to line him up with some enthusiasts.

And I can attest that all of the ClassicZ members I've met are incredibly stylish. Myself included!

From the Al Borland collection.    B)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I bet you they even do a cool photo shoot of some of our cars as well. 😉

Edited by motorman7

Great ad.  BTW, I have a reel to reel tape deck just like the one in the picture.  Haven't used it for decades, but I have some great '60s and '70s music on about 100 reels of tape.  Probably have a pair of those white pants somewhere in the back of the closet, too.  :geek:

Those were the days.

Dennis

• Like 2

18 hours ago, psdenno said:

Great ad.  BTW, I have a reel to reel tape deck just like the one in the picture.  Haven't used it for decades, but I have some great '60s and '70s music on about 100 reels of tape.  Probably have a pair of those white pants somewhere in the back of the closet, too.  :geek:

Those were the days.

Dennis

I have one too Dennis. I believe it's a Sansui. Lots of reels full of music.

But not the white pants.

Mike, I'll be on the lookout for that issue for sure.

Edited by rcb280z
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, rcb280z said:

I have one too Dennis. I believe it's a Sansui. Lots of reels full of music.

But not the white pants.

It was SEA in the early 1970s and the Base Exchange was full of top quality stereo gear at crazy low prices.  Speakers, amps, tuners, tape decks, turn tables.  No GI could go home without some.  The white pants, on the other hand....I have no excuse.  :geek:

Dennis

Got mine in 1980 while I was stationed in Okinawa. I started looking for it yesterday and gave up shortly after that. It's tucked way back in the rafters somewhere in a heavy duty tote. 

Early 70s I had a TEAC reel to reel and white jeans too. I'm beginning to see a pattern developing.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Mike B said:

Just needs a hawk to go with the white jeans and scarf.

Are you talking about this old show?  I barely remember this...

13204182_f496.jpg

• Like 1

The 2018 Fall GQ Style preview video is on the link below at bottom of the page.  Spotted the Z's at about the 24 second mark in the clip.  Magazine's go on sale tomorrow so I will definitely have to pick one up

https://www.gq.com/story/tyler-the-creator-gq-style-fall-cover-reveal

Edited by motorman7
  • Like 1

My local Barnes and Noble still doesn't have the magazine.  They said maybe in a couple days.  For what it's worth, the GQ style magazine only comes out 3 times a year and is as thick as an old Sears catalog.  Cost is $14.95 and of the over 300 pages, I think 250 of them are men's fashion advertisements. I am definitely not one to make a fashion statement and my wife would would definitely agree. 

Anyway, can't wait to see the pics and read the article.  Of course, if I were going to do a GQ photo shoot I would probably do something like this only with sunshine.

IMG_20180629_083918_01.jpg

Edited by motorman7