IGNORED

Rust Advice 78 280z

gotham22

I started working on the front suspension of my car and found some rot that looks structural.  I have never really worked on cars so I was wondering if some of you might chime in and tell me how bad it really is and can it be fixed\.  From what I can tell the rust is isolated to the drivers side front.  The passenger side and trunk only have minor surface rust but seem to be in good shape.  Also the floor boards seem to be in good shape on both sides.  I do not have the skills to do this myself and I am very nervous bringing it to someone as I want it done right and not half arse.  Take a look at the pics and let me know what you think.   By the way, does anyone know of a good body shop on Long Island?

IMG_0989.JPG

IMG_0988.JPG

IMG_0986.JPG

IMG_0990.JPG

Yes sir that's structural, your 1st and 3rd pics shows that the rail going under the D/S floor has been repaired before but they probably just patched over the rust and so it kept spreading. Whatever shop you take it to make sure they don't do the same thing, that rust has to be cut back to clean metal and new metal welded on not riveted like the last repair. Collision shops probably aren't your best bet because they like the work that is under insurance, they may not even want to do that job. The repair might be able to be done with the engine still in place but the carpets and seat on the D/S will need to come out.

I just looked hard at the 4th pic and you can see they riveted a patch on the that entire rail, probably won't be very pretty once those rivets are removed. You might want to take it to an automotive restorer and get a quote, it could be a bigger job than you originally thought.

IMHO it's doubtful you could get that fixed for less than $10K.  There's probably a mess on the other side too.  Rust is like cockroaches.  If you see one, there's a lot more you can't see.  I'm sorry if that sounds discouraging.  You should still get it checked out.  Just keep your hopes realistic.  

Thats what I was thinking as well.  I am being realistic.  I love this car but when you start to pay that much then you just want a full restoration which I can not afford!  Ugggh.  Hardest decision I have had to make.

if I didn't get it fixed what do you think the best course of action is?  Sell it as is?  Sell it for parts?

You are going to need some frame rails and maybe floor supports from Charlie

http://www.datsunzparts.com/products.html

I could get it fixed here for a lot less than 10k. However in New York, I don't know. I wouldn't think it will cost that much but it might. The others are right, in that the rust needs to be removed and any other surface rust neutralized! The biggest challenge is finding someone willing to take this on. It's not that hard, but most shops want to do the easy work

I think you're facing what most Z owners come to realize after they bring one home. The rust repair can be daunting, intimidating, expensive and time consuming.  That being said, I've seen much worse that has been repaired, ie: mine.  Like Charles said, most Body Shops around me wouldn't touch rust work like that because Insurance money is more Lucrative.  However, you might be able to find someone local or on CL who does that kind of work in their spare time.  It may take longer but it may be less expensive also. My 2 cents...

Edit to say, the passenger side looks good but inspect it well along with the Battery tray and firewall area. 

Edited by gwri8

GOTHAM 22

I like others have seen much worse. As a matter of fact if you look through the archives on this site several members have replaced everything forward of the bulkhead with great success. But these jobs (projects) were done by the owner of the vehicle in most cases. Don't get discouraged or daunted by your issue. Someone will do this for you but you should plan on the repair shop having the car for 90 days minimum and thats on the low end. But it would give you time to save up the $$$$$. Your car is increasing in value everyday and if you should decide to sell it you get your money back plus a decent profit if you can show a potential buyer what a good platform they have. I am currently putting #6333 back together and I did work in the same areas you have issues in although not quite as bad. I am doing my own cutting fitting and welding. It can be done but it is not a quick process. The comment about "RUST BEING LIKE ROACHES".....right on! If you do decide to have the work done I would suggest stripping all the undercoat off the bottom of the car to inspect the condition of the entire bottom. No point fixing it without fixing all of it. Chin up, Good Luck!

20180606_121728.jpg

20180607_084531.jpg

20161231_172904.jpg

20161231_172450.jpg

Edited by esmit208
Add pics
  • Like 1

Thanks for all the advice.  I really appreciate it.  I know what I am going through is no different than others, I just wish I could do the work myself.  And I agree with you esmit208, if it is going to be done it needs to be done right (i.e. remove all undercoating).