IGNORED

Rust Advice 78 280z

gotham22

Thanks grannyknot! It is not a full tear down but my goal is to have the engine be as reliable as possible. I already know I need to rewire efi injector plugs as mine are brittle and falling apart. Will keep an eye out for other bad connectors or just worn parts in general.

Sent from my iPhone using Classic Zcar Club mobile

2 hours ago, gotham22 said:

I already know I need to rewire efi injector plugs as mine are brittle and falling apart.

Yes, mine were so brittle they were crumbling as I pulled them off, I got this tip off of @240260280 head to a pick and pull auto yard, look for Audi and VW cars, they have connectors that fit our injectors. I got these from two Pasats 2000-2008 4 cylinder, I removed the 4 th injector plug and grafted them into the harness, think I paid $10, that Pasat also has the same plugs to fit all of the other sensors.

IMG_0740.JPG

IMG_0741.JPG

• Like 2

Two Questions:

1) What is the best way to remove the tension rod mount without damaging it so it can later be welding on to the new frame rail?

2) I bought a new frame rail and floor support from zed findings but I don't see how the floor support will attach to the tension rod mount? It doesn't have the piece I circled in red.  Is this something I need to fabricate myself?  Does anyone have a good picture of how this should look when I am done?  

IMG_0196.jpg

20 hours ago, gotham22 said:

Two Questions:

1) What is the best way to remove the tension rod mount without damaging it so it can later be welding on to the new frame rail?

2) I bought a new frame rail and floor support from zed findings but I don't see how the floor support will attach to the tension rod mount? It doesn't have the piece I circled in red.  Is this something I need to fabricate myself?  Does anyone have a good picture of how this should look when I am done?  

IMG_0196.jpg

See if you can find what you need in Wheee!'s thread. If not let us know and we will come up with some info.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys, now that I have the engine and transmission out I have been thinking about what I should do to it as I am hoping to never have it out of the car again.  I have owned the car for a few years and never had an issue with the engine.  I did a compression test before I removed it and got good readings.  So I am not sure there is anything I "have" to do. Here is what I want to do... replace hoses -especially some of the vacuum hoses which are becoming brittle.  I need new fuel injector wires as the rubber is brittle and falling off.  I would love to re-zinc the fuel rail as it looks terrible.  Re-torque the head bolts and adjust valve lash. Replace clutch.

Based on the pics I have a few questions.  I know some of these are just a matter of preference but while I have the engine out I want to do it right. And my goal is to make the a reliable weekend driver.

The exhaust manifold looks pretty rusty.  Is this something I can restore or should I look to replace?

Do the gaskets need to be replaced, you can see some oil stains on the header and valve areas?

Should I replace the fuel injectors?

The pulleys seem pretty rusted, these can be restored though right?

Does anyone know where I can find a new heat shield that fits under the egr valve?

IMG_0108.jpg

IMG_0109.jpg

IMG_0111.jpg

IMG_0113.jpg

IMG_0114.jpg

IMG_0115.jpg

IMG_0116.jpg

IMG_0120.jpg

IMG_0121.jpg

IMG_0122.jpg

If you are already at it...might as well give the whole thing a cosmetic make over.

rust can easily be removed with naval jelly or vinegar , get a couple of gallons at the market and soak parts in it for a couple of days, its not as fast as other rust removing products...but its cost effective. you can also use muriatic acid diluted with water  but its nasty stuff.

Treat the parts with phosphoric acid prior to painting.

muriatic acid can be found at home depot in pool supply, phosphoric acid at the paint department.both are reasonably priced.

PS: you might want to check your timing chain, I find that most are badly stretched.