IGNORED

Rust Advice 78 280z

gotham22

Hey guys, I am ready to pull the engine.  it is fully detached.  I have a lift bracket on the front passenger side but do not know where to connect the leveler to on the drivers side.  I read a lot of post about a bolt hole towards the firewall but I don't see it.  I see what looks like a hole where a bolt goes but it is not threaded and nothing can be attached there.  See pic.    So where can I attach the leveler to that will be string enough?

liftPoint3.jpg

liftPoint1.jpg

liftPoint2.jpg

If extracting the broken bolt wont work (or the threads are gone beyond repair) here is a trick:

Drill the bolt with a 7/16 bit, tap it in 1/4 npt, get a solid pipe plug from lows ect (the kind that is fastened with an allen key)

Now insert the plug, if its not flush with the head use a side grinder to make it flush with the head. now all that is left is to drill and tap it in 8mm.

Works great if you don't have a time sert kit.

The threads are in the head.  A stud or a bolt would be there, but they often break off.  Your worst case would be that somebody broke the casting in the head.  You'll know when you get it apart and get a better look.

Good luck.  Go slow and check those odd things that don't get disconnected, like the throttle linkage grannyknot mentioned, or the speedo cable.  Brake booster vacuum hose, etc.

This weekend I am pulling the engine out of the car!  Got a chain connected to the bell housing.  Just ran out of time.  Question - while the engine is out what are some of the "must-do's" that I should be thinking about.  I am assuming now that I have unlimited access I should be swapping certain parts - i.e clutch

1 hour ago, gotham22 said:

while the engine is out what are some of the "must-do's" that I should be thinking about. 

Degrease, scrape, clean all the areas you can't normally get to, with any rust in the front rails now is the time. Also nice to roll the engine out on the driveway, hose it down, get a can of engine cleaner and go to town. If it is not a full teardown of the car now is a good time to unwrap the wiring harness, clean or replace connectors especially grounds and repair any hacks. At least have a look at the clutch, someone may have already replaced it, it's good to replace the output shaft seal at the back of the transmission, most of them have tens of thousands of miles on them. check ujoints on driveshaft, replace steering rack bushings...