IGNORED

Rust Advice 78 280z

gotham22

1 hour ago, ksechler said:

You're not still driving that are you?  The first and second picture are concerning.  It doesn't look like there is any structure left for the tension rod.  I gotta be honest with you, I'd pass.  I think you'd be better off trying to find a shell from California or Arizona and using the parts from your car to make something road worthy.    

Not a bad idea. It is probably not safe to drive at this point only because it might completely collapse hitting a pothole. WOW! But once again I have seen them replaced from the bulkhead forward

4 minutes ago, wheee! said:

The riveted patch panels in the frame rails scare me....

RIVETS.......were meant for aircraft made mostly of composites and aluminum, Not completely metal motocars!

No offense to the later model 280Z owners...but it is "just" a 1978 280Z.  A much better 280Z can be found for much less than it will cost to fix that one.  If it doesn't have sentimental value, there's not much point to fixing it.  Unless you want a good long project to work on.

58 minutes ago, Zed Head said:

No offense to the later model 280Z owners...but it is "just" a 1978 280Z.  A much better 280Z can be found for much less than it will cost to fix that one.  If it doesn't have sentimental value, there's not much point to fixing it.  Unless you want a good long project to work on.

I don't disagree totally, however, I find that the 280Z 's will be much harder to find in the coming years. Any attempts to save ANY of the S30's should be considered at this point....

• Like 2

I meant that it looks like it has seen salt.  Your fender well edges might be rotting.  The rear shelf under the hatch lid.  Inside the gas fill area.  It only takes one trip after a snow storm to load things up with salty grime.  It just sits there and works.

Plus, somebody has already been fixing, as shown by the riveted supports.  There's probably filled or painted over rust areas. 

I want to thank you for all of your replies. It means a lot, especially as I am a novice.  I have decided to attempt to do it myself.  Doesn’t look like I can make it any worse!  Ha!  Your advice has been extremely helpful. I love this car!  It has been a dream of mine to own one.  I just had a baby, she is 4 months old so progress will be slow on the car But I will update the thread as i get stuff done so others like me can learn. This is truly a great community. 

• Thanks 2

Good for you to tackle that job, and congrats on the baby, if she is your 1st welcome to the roller coaster of parent hood. They grow very fast out of the stage, so enjoy while you can.

I would suggest you get a good quality welder, think of it as a long term investment, be prepared to spend 1k min. I got a cheap o from HF to weld up some exhaust pipe. Should have spent the money for a 120/240 with more controls on current. I got the 240 which is a pain to power up, I would think that the 120 option should be fine for thin sheet metal. Also buy a big cylinder of shield gas, don't be tempted to try using flux rod, makes a big mess. As a novice I think the best possible equipment will make the experience less pain, and also get some scrap body parts to practice on.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, gotham22 said:

I want to thank you for all of your replies. It means a lot, especially as I am a novice.  I have decided to attempt to do it myself.  Doesn’t look like I can make it any worse!  Ha!  Your advice has been extremely helpful. I love this car!  It has been a dream of mine to own one.  I just had a baby, she is 4 months old so progress will be slow on the car But I will update the thread as i get stuff done so others like me can learn. This is truly a great community. 

I have been putting #6333 back together close to ten years! But things are done exactly the way I want them! NO SHORTCUTS WHATSOEVER. I plan to give one to both my sons if they should want them so it has to be right!