grannyknot

Just what the Doctor ordered. 1977 280z

18 minutes ago, grannyknot said:

Damn right, there were times I when I covered head to toe in sanding dust wondering how I thought this would be fun - again.

I scrubbed out the shop, covered everything in plastic, soaked the floors in water and it worked out okay, not too many floaters to file off.

I wish they were new, I couldn't find any so I used the original ones that are in pretty good shape. 

It's a shame we can't find a vendor to reproduce these. Might need a core charge for the washers, but still..

I assisted with painting my car that was done in a garage. It all went well with the base coat,  it the clear coat turned into a nightmare . Our ceiling exhaust fan filter decided to come apart while painting the clear. Picked crap out of the paint and shot more clear over the holes to blend the clear. Winded up with using a gallon and a half of clear. Made for fun color sanding . So kudos to you for getting those results in a garage !

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Patcon said:

It's a shame we can't find a vendor to reproduce these. Might need a core charge for the washers, but still..

I've never vulcanized rubber. Anyone here done that?

Is raw un-vulcanized rubber easily available?

13 minutes ago, Captain Obvious said:

I've never vulcanized rubber. Anyone here done that?

Is raw un-vulcanized rubber easily available?

I don't really know what the process would look like. Are the rubbers that are being used to reproduce other NLA parts suitable for this application?

If a suitable product is available, the molds are relatively small but a good part would be needed for making the molds

10 hours ago, 240260280 said:

3 early resto's and ~ 250k USD or more tax free!  Business case!!!!

Funny, I don't remember ever seeing that kind of money.  I sure wish I hadn't sold the 1970 240Z HLS30 01955 March/70 now,  if I had put a bit more detail into making it more stock who knows what it would go for these days.

So I got the engine/tranny in today but before I did I thought I would weigh them, the engine by itself stripped down except for the mounts, no fluids was 304 lbs. With the flywheel, clutch pak, and transmission, 435 lbs,  the chain and tackle were 8 lbs.  The last pic is as far as I got by the end of the day,  I can see light at the end of the tunnel.

IMG_0073.JPG

IMG_0074.JPG

IMG_0075.JPG

IMG_0076.JPG

IMG_0077.JPG

IMG_0080.JPG

IMG_0081.JPG

• Like 4

So as not to hijack Grannyknot's build thread, I'm going to start a new topic about the moustache bar bushings.

7 hours ago, 240260280 said:

I still have some parts from your 70 that your sent me.  I hope some of my 280z parts made it to your current  build... it will make me proud 🙂

Quite a few of your parts made the cut, most of it was in better shape than my stuff.

• Like 2

Thanks!

Starting to route hoses and checked my pre-tear down pics, is this carbon canister hooked up properly? Seems to me the hose coming from the tank should go to the nipple marked "from tank" and the purge hose should go to the intake manifold.

Also, the 2nd pic is of the P/S kick panel, it is in good enough to use as a template to make a new one but is there in fact a D/S kick panel? My photos don't show one and I just can't remember any more.

IMG_0659.JPG

IMG_0097.JPG

2 hours ago, grannyknot said:

Thanks!

Starting to route hoses and checked my pre-tear down pics, is this carbon canister hooked up properly? Seems to me the hose coming from the tank should go to the nipple marked "from tank" and the purge hose should go to the intake manifold.

IMG_0659.JPG

Have a look at this. http://atlanticz.ca/zclub/techtips/carboncan/index.html 

btw one of the hoses has a reducing orifice in it