IGNORED

Just what the Doctor ordered. 1977 280z

grannyknot

1 hour ago, grannyknot said:

The minimum temp for powder coating is 325 F. that I have seen.  Now that you mention the black surround I remembered that it originally it was painted a dark silvery grey, at the least that was the colour for the 240's

Mine are bleach blonde

E130CC7A-7E70-4DF6-A38A-E812E92644A5.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

IMG_0873.jpg

8 hours ago, grannyknot said:

I little victory today, I would never have got this spacer off while the intake was still on the engine,

IMG_0812.JPG

IMG_0814.JPG

That was one of the first, and many, dumb headed moves I made before finding you guys on classiczcars.com.

I took a Sawzall and cut that off thinking I could get it welded back up, nope.  Lucky to find another from a guy cleaning out his "pile" in Chicago, $50.

Image result for siteunseen intake rot classiczcars.com

Edited by siteunseen

12 hours ago, grannyknot said:

I little victory today, I would never have got this spacer off while the intake was still on the engine,

IMG_0812.JPG

IMG_0814.JPG

Maybe time to add one of those induction heater thingies to your tool box?

21 hours ago, Captain Obvious said:

Wow. What a PITA. Glad you got it off.

Now all you have to do is get those rusty studs out of the intake manifold without snapping them off.   :ph34r:

One of them has snapped off and it was already moving, I could turn it back and forth about a 1/4 turn, then it snapped

21 hours ago, madkaw said:

Are going to delete the EGR, or put another on?

I would like to keep it just because it came with one but I may have to block it off, long way from that decision.

19 hours ago, gwri8 said:

I feel your pain.  I removed mine  some time ago, but I remember it well.  Those things get nasty! Thought I was almost finished when I discovered there was actually a gasket between those pieces and had to chisel it out... As Chief Dan George said "Endeavor to Perservere"

It really was a filthy job and the carbon and crap that came out of that heating chamber under the manifold, there was a pile of it.

18 hours ago, smackhq said:

Wowza....that's impressive! Love it.

Do you have link?

1977 Color Wiring Diagram Version M.pdf

To continue on with what madkaw was asking, I'm realizing the EGR system is more elaborate than I first thought. The EGR controller at the end and moving toward the front next the BPT valve which is also heated by the same exhaust tube as the EGR, then vacuum tubes leading to the thermal vacuum valve that is on the end of the Idle Air Control Heater. If I do delete the EGR how much of the rest of the chain needs to be removed?

IMG_0825.JPG

IMG_0819.JPG

• Thanks 1