IGNORED

Just what the Doctor ordered. 1977 280z

grannyknot

1 hour ago, EuroDat said:

Yep, The rear deck and your fuel pressue regulator valve FPR is early model. Both changed in july 1977. I started a thread on these differences over the years, but there is somethinv wrong with it and it opens all wierd and photo's all ovef the place.

I will start a new one and post all I have on that one.

Im on my tablet so don't have many photo's, but here are the two fpr's

Early (before August) has two inlets and one outlet with 90 degree bend.

Late (August 1977 onwards) has one inlet and one outlet with 90 degree bend

The dates with these changes are not hard just like the 240Z changes. They seemed to change a lot of little things in the July / August period.

20180623_163852.jpg

Is this it?  

• Thanks 1

I think the chemical engineers designed that old brake fluid in keeping with the idea of owners trading in their vehicles every four years or so.  How many people do you know who actually ponied up the money for a brake system flush?  Oil and filter replacement?  Absolutely.  Maybe even a can of STP or top-cylinder lube.  Ignition system tune-up kit?  Of course.  New brake pads?  OK, if I really have to.  But new brake fluid?  I think not. -_-

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, grannyknot said:

I got into the Brake Master, booster and proportioning valves today, hope you are not eating while reading this, pretty sure I'm the first one to remove the brake master.

Dude! That's pristine!

Strangely enough when I disassembled the master cylinder and cleaned out all the sludge/crap, the walls of the bore looked pretty good, but I'll lobe it on to the junk heap, a new M/C is only $90 so hard to argue with that. I can just imagine what the wheel cylinders and clutch slave are going to look like ?

It looks terrible, but that sludge might have protected the system against corrosion and pitting. Fingers crossed.

You can buy a simple seal kit for the early 240Z proportioning valve. It has a couple of parts that fit this one. Unfortunately I don't think anyone makes a kit for these.

The brake switch is an easy fix, if the bore is not pitted. I cleaned mine by cutting a slot in a plastic tube and a strip of fine emery paper.

Here is the thread. @Namerow posted some usefull info on the kit from msa.

Edited by EuroDat

Must be my lucky month. I get a 77 delivered to my house on Father’s Day and Chris is doing a thread on a 77!!

saves me a lot searching because it will be covered quite well right here. 

I wont jack your thread but might make comparisons with my 9/76 . I’ll start my own thread since you’ve given me incentive . Funny that the car is the same color too. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, grannyknot said:

Strangely enough when I disassembled the master cylinder and cleaned out all the sludge/crap, the walls of the bore looked pretty good, but I'll lobe it on to the junk heap, a new M/C is only $90 so hard to argue with that. I can just imagine what the wheel cylinders and clutch slave are going to look like ?

Just went thru the same thing , but my 77 wasn’t as narley . The bore was pristine and the seals were very pliable - I’m going to run it. The calipers and wheel cylinders will get changed .

On 6/10/2018 at 2:49 PM, Zed Head said:

That is a very nice set of connectors.  Proper spacing and everything.  You might consider using a male and female connector (Weatherpack is popular, I think) at the end that you cut so that you can just remove all six as an assembly whenever needed.  Much easier than splicing all six separately.  Looks like it was made for it.

http://www.whiteproducts.com/connectors.shtml

So this set was from a Passat 6 cylinder I’m guessing ? Taking notes ?

I have to do the same thing 

8 hours ago, madkaw said:

So this set was from a Passat 6 cylinder I’m guessing ? Taking notes ?

I have to do the same thing 

No, it was some Passat with an inline 4 transverse engine,  it took two cars to make up my harness, I sniped the 4th connector and lead so I had 2 sets of 3 plugs. There is also 3-4 other single connectors on the Passat that match the other old ones on the 280z.

Not absolutely sure but could be 1996-2006