IGNORED

Just what the Doctor ordered. 1977 280z

grannyknot

Oh, and I used VW connectors on my injectors as well, but I used a different version with end release clips instead of the one single side release. I found I liked them much better for the injectors, but I liked the side release in the other locations better. I used to have a pic posted, but photobucket extorted it out of existence. I'll get a new pic loaded up when I get a chance.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, grannyknot said:

The connector caps for the fuel injectors are working but in rough condition so I was going buy new ones and splice them in but @240260280 suggested going to the wreckers and look for Audi/VW. I got enough to change every connector on the car for $10.  Passat's had all the right stuff.

IMG_0740.JPG

That is a very nice set of connectors.  Proper spacing and everything.  You might consider using a male and female connector (Weatherpack is popular, I think) at the end that you cut so that you can just remove all six as an assembly whenever needed.  Much easier than splicing all six separately.  Looks like it was made for it.

http://www.whiteproducts.com/connectors.shtml

Edited by Zed Head
Put my words in the wrong spot.
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Good idea ZH but I had them spliced in by the time I read your post.

Getting some surface finishing done, console was lightly sanded with 240 grit a 2 coats of SEM Landau black,

IMG_0757.JPG

All of the bumper rubber looks pretty sad, can't tell if a PO painted them at some point or that is just age but sanded all the rubber with 240 grit them burnished with the 3M Grey scuff pads then a couple of coats of Auto Glim tire dressing,

IMG_0760.JPGIMG_0761.JPGIMG_0763.JPGIMG_0764.JPG

This is a spare valve cover that will go on the 280z, wet blasted, a coat of GIBBS oil.

IMG_0767.JPG

• Like 4

On 6/7/2018 at 10:27 PM, Captain Obvious said:

I ditched the inflat-o-matic spare for an always inflated donut spare a while ago. Details are here, but pics are dead because photobucket sucks:
https://www.classiczcars.com/forums/topic/55424-always-inflated-mini-donut-spare-for-7778/

The 77 and later cars are tough because of the reduced tire well diameter. The summary is I'm running a T115/70/14 space saver tire on an old 4 inch wide rim from a Datsun Roadster. That's the largest rubber I could get into the spare tire well on the 77.

Let me know if you want me to reload the pics and I can do that when I get the chance.

Would you measure the height of the tire from the ground? I’m curious if this would fit the tire well in my 300zx. 

I measured the overall height at about 21.5 inches (+/- .25 inch for parallax error). I uploaded a couple pics.

Measuring the height:
P1130559.JPG

Here it is snug as a bug in the back of my 77:
P1060512.JPG

And (as embarrassing as it is...) here's a pic of it on the car when I did a short test run to make sure it actually worked:
P1060523.JPG

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, EuroDat said:

Looks like a great car you found. Very good condition, just a little dirty and dusty. Should be an easy resto for you time around.

77 model, its before august 77 anyway.

Thanks Chas,  no major problems yet, it's a nice change. Before Aug. 77, that's good to know, PO removed the B pillar ID plate for painting and lost it.  As far as I know there is no way to replicate it, Banzai Motorworks only produces the door tags up to /73.

You know the car was built before Aug. because of some detail you are seeing?

An early 77',  till June I believe, had a sloped rear deck.  A late 77' had a flat rear deck like all the other Z's.  I had a June 77' parts car and it had a flat deck, that's what I'm basing off of.

Edited by gwri8

Yep, The rear deck and your fuel pressue regulator valve FPR is early model. Both changed in july 1977. I started a thread on these differences over the years, but there is somethinv wrong with it and it opens all wierd and photo's all ovef the place.

I will start a new one and post all I have on that one.

Im on my tablet so don't have many photo's, but here are the two fpr's

Early (before August) has two inlets and one outlet with 90 degree bend.

Late (August 1977 onwards) has one inlet and one outlet with 90 degree bend

The dates with these changes are not hard just like the 240Z changes. They seemed to change a lot of little things in the July / August period.

20180623_163852.jpg

Edited by EuroDat
  • Like 1