IGNORED

Just what the Doctor ordered. 1977 280z

grannyknot

I ditched the inflat-o-matic spare for an always inflated donut spare a while ago. Details are here, but pics are dead because photobucket sucks:
https://www.classiczcars.com/forums/topic/55424-always-inflated-mini-donut-spare-for-7778/

The 77 and later cars are tough because of the reduced tire well diameter. The summary is I'm running a T115/70/14 space saver tire on an old 4 inch wide rim from a Datsun Roadster. That's the largest rubber I could get into the spare tire well on the 77.

Let me know if you want me to reload the pics and I can do that when I get the chance.

• Like 1

On 6/7/2018 at 5:34 PM, grannyknot said:

So this spare tire is pretty much dedicated to have a can of compressed gas to fill it up, what is everybody using? The original can has something sloshing around inside but I sure wouldn't want to depend on it.

I have a mini 12v compressor with the spare.  Test inflated it 3 or 4 years ago,  seemed fine for emergency's,  but one day will probably go the Captain's route.

• Like 1

On 6/7/2018 at 6:34 PM, grannyknot said:

So this spare tire is pretty much dedicated to have a can of compressed gas to fill it up, what is everybody using? The original can has something sloshing around inside but I sure wouldn't want to depend on it.

I still carry an original spare, but just for nostalgia really.  I also carry a 12volt compressor with a tire plug kit.

10 hours ago, S30Driver said:

I have a mini 12v compressor with the spare.  Test inflated it 3 or 4 years ago,  seemed fine for emergency's,  but one day will probably go the Captain's route.

5 hours ago, gwri8 said:

I still carry an original spare, but just for nostalgia really.  I also carry a 12volt compressor with a tire plug kit.

Great idea, thanks that problem is solved.

8 hours ago, Captain Obvious said:

Whoa. I got a serious case of diagram envy. That thing is beautiful!

Lots of hard work went into it and I'm grateful to be able to have access to it.  One thing I noticed,  it doesn't give fuse ratings or fusible link ratings, how can you find out the proper fuse for a circuit without the math? My fuse cover is missing.

8 hours ago, Captain Obvious said:

I guess now is not the time I should bring up all the mistakes I found recently, huh?     :tapemouth:

It can't be any worst than this Prospero diagram for the early 240's, I stopped counting all the mistakes on this thing.

IMG_0738.JPG

I was just kidding about the errors on the Rev M. I think I turned up something minor recently, but it was so inconsequential that I don't even remember what it was. I have no significant issues currently. Only thing I would warn you about is the position of the fusible links. What is shown on the diagram is NOT the correct physical location of the links under the hood. This is the correct positioning:
correct%20positioning.JPG

And for the fuse values, here's a couple pics. This is the 77 cover (which BTW is a little different than 76):
77cover1.jpg

And here's a snipped from the FSM showing the artist's rendering. The fuse values are the same, but the printing is a little different:
77cover1a.jpg

4 hours ago, jeremy93ls said:

Here's one I printed out for my 78 on a plotter I was working on a while back. Its a work of art, but at 10' long, its too big to fit on any wall.

IMG_20170915_112611358.jpg

Walls in my shop are 30' long. I got plenty of room. Is there a colorized 240z diagram like this?

Thanks Capt., where does one buy fusible links, are they sold by wire size or colour?

The connector caps for the fuel injectors are working but in rough condition so I was going buy new ones and splice them in but @240260280 suggested going to the wreckers and look for Audi/VW. I got enough to change every connector on the car for $10.  Passat's had all the right stuff.

IMG_0740.JPG

IMG_0741.JPG

• Like 2

As an aside, remind me sometime to tell you a story about the fusible links and why they are a ticking time bomb. Post up all my measurements and investigation and stuff.

But in the meantime, back on topic... I found the cheapest place to get all the links at the same time was off ebay. The ones I bought were purported to be genuine Nissan, and did all four links.

You need the 77-78 version, and it should have three red (which are actually brown), and one larger black one. I did a quick look on ebay, and it seems they are still plentiful. A couple item numbers that seem to be the correct set:

Or search for "Datsun Fusible".