Jump to content

Recommended Posts

@rossiz

A year or two ago you were talking about adding a rear wiper on you Z, did you ever do that?

I found these and was wondering if they were the 280zx rear wiper that was needed...

20180502_165756.jpg20180502_165759.jpg20180502_165804.jpg20180502_165808.jpg

I found these the other day when I was cleaning up the shop.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Has anybody heard from Rossiz? I hit him up in this thread. Just wanted to be sure he was ok. He never responded. His last post was Dec 2017

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have not heard from him in quite a while,  however, he was on here about 3 weeks ago.  I also hope he is ok & nothing bad has happened to him or his 78 Z car.

Mark Maras may know more ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

About a week or two ago I noticed that he was logged in.  I remember that he said he was having back problems about a year or more ago.  Those can really mess you up.

He's up in Seattle.

@rossiz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

hey guys - thanks for thinking of me, sorry i've been so far out of the loop. for the past couple years the z has been running well and i've been pretty consumed with other projects. built a 69 vw bug convertible from a rusty, rotten piece of junk to a decent daily driver, learning how to weld in the process so now i'm pretty dangerous. 

mark is right: the su's have been soooo wonderful - not a single hiccup and i drive her just about every day, rain or shine, commute is 50 miles round trip. just topped off the oil yesterday, and while i was at it checked/cleaned the plugs and they were all a nice consistent tan. tickle the choke lever in the morning and she starts instantly. best thing i did to that car and i can't see ever going back to all those fussy electronic bits.

i did one pretty big z project a few months ago: swapped out the squishy z seats. was going to go the miata route, and found a set of porsche seats that looked like they'd drop right in. turned out to be a major pita - 3 weekends of cutting, welding, re-building. the z seat wells are a goofy tapered shape, partly due to the big tunnel hump with its exhaust pipe lump on the drivers side, and partly due to the horizontal beam at the front. makes for two different height mounting points front vs. rear. at some point i will cut out and re-build the entire floor pan area to make it flat and wide enough to put in normal flat-mount seats.

at some point i'm gonna strip the z down to bare chassis, do some body mods (tail lights, valence, grille, shave markers, eliminate panel joint at sugar scoops) and re-paint. that's when i'll probably do the rear wiper. probably a year or two from now, based on the current list of projects in the queue...

i do pop in from time to time and read some of the threads - good to see you all are still at it!

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, rossiz said:

hey guys - thanks for thinking of me, sorry i've been so far out of the loop. for the past couple years the z has been running well and i've been pretty consumed with other projects. built a 69 vw bug convertible from a rusty, rotten piece of junk to a decent daily driver, learning how to weld in the process so now i'm pretty dangerous. 

mark is right: the su's have been soooo wonderful - not a single hiccup and i drive her just about every day, rain or shine, commute is 50 miles round trip. just topped off the oil yesterday, and while i was at it checked/cleaned the plugs and they were all a nice consistent tan. tickle the choke lever in the morning and she starts instantly. best thing i did to that car and i can't see ever going back to all those fussy electronic bits.

i did one pretty big z project a few months ago: swapped out the squishy z seats. was going to go the miata route, and found a set of porsche seats that looked like they'd drop right in. turned out to be a major pita - 3 weekends of cutting, welding, re-building. the z seat wells are a goofy tapered shape, partly due to the big tunnel hump with its exhaust pipe lump on the drivers side, and partly due to the horizontal beam at the front. makes for two different height mounting points front vs. rear. at some point i will cut out and re-build the entire floor pan area to make it flat and wide enough to put in normal flat-mount seats.

at some point i'm gonna strip the z down to bare chassis, do some body mods (tail lights, valence, grille, shave markers, eliminate panel joint at sugar scoops) and re-paint. that's when i'll probably do the rear wiper. probably a year or two from now, based on the current list of projects in the queue...

i do pop in from time to time and read some of the threads - good to see you all are still at it!

 

Glad your ok! Is one of those wiper motors I posted the right one? It yours for the cost of freight if you would like it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the offer - really appreciate it. At this point I’m gonna hold off accumulating any more z parts. The project is pretty far down the road and I’m up to my ears in stuff w/no place to store anything. When the time comes, and I’m actually in fabrication mode, I’ll evaluate if that’s the right solution or perhaps a motor from something more recent. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, rossiz said:

the su's have been soooo wonderful

I agree. I ran them on my 77 for 3 years, IIRC, when I was in Nevada. Loved them! And that was in the year 2000. Kept the EFI just in case and a good thing I did. When we came back to CA they told me I had to reinstall the EFI. Boy was I disappointed.  I miss them.

Edited by rcb280z

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, rossiz said:

found a set of porsche seats that looked like they'd drop right in. turned out to be a major pita

Thread jack alert... Pics or it didn't happen.

PS - Glad you're still around and it's good to hear from you!!   :ph34r:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

True, I guess I’ve been away so long I forgot one of the cardinal rules of posting...

CB4E3104-F9C3-45B9-9613-95E2AF5BE598.jpeg

D7779A4D-6512-493A-ACB4-03A55E1D13A2.jpeg

01A82C7C-A783-4394-9E16-1FB77927F7B8.jpeg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Electric recliner (you can see the control on the side of the seat pan).

power was the easy part. Major drama rebuilding the mounting system. Not for the faint of heart. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, I know it was Porsche, but what model? I've got a Boxster in the garage and I've already measured the seats.

Boy... Would SWMBO sure be surprised if she went out one day and found her seats weren't in her car anymore!!   :ph34r:

PS - Sorry, OP for the thread jack. I think we're almost done.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No worries! I am just wondering how that black eye would look with that beard? ROFLYou could of course claim you tripped and hit your face on the lathe B)

BTW we're getting close, so no stupidity before Atlanta! Take care of that back!!!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s been a bit - can’t remember the model. Was late 90’s I believe.

Please note this was a huge PITA project. Definitely not a “bolt-in”. The seats had a manual piston-assisted height adjustment, which I had to remove/collapse and weld closed to get them low enough to clear the headliner, the mounting point width was too wide so I had to fab new mounts, the tracks were too long so I had to cut/weld them and reconfigure the slide adjustment lever, and the floor pan on the drivers side (propeller shaft hump) required some “adjustment” with a 4 lb hammer to make room. I don’t recommend this unless you are hell-bent on making it happen and willing to modify your z a bit. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Patcon said:

we're getting close, so no stupidity before Atlanta!

Wait... Nothing stupid?? Nothing? Am I supposed to live in a plastic bubble of good judgment for the next month??

I was supposed to go for a run with scissors today.

9 hours ago, rossiz said:

It’s been a bit - can’t remember the model. Was late 90’s I believe.

Well that narrows it down some. LOL 

I put Fiero seats in mine and it wasn't easy. I didn't have to bash the hump on the floor (BTW - it's for the catalytic converter on such equipped models), but I had all the same mounting issues. Not an easy project.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Captain Obvious said:

Wait... Nothing stupid?? Nothing? Am I supposed to live in a plastic bubble of good judgment for the next month??

If that's what it takes! :beer:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Who's Online   14 Members, 0 Anonymous, 131 Guests (See full list)

  • Search Engine Meta Tags:
    classic, z, datsun, 240z, 260z, 280z, zcar, zed, s30, classiczcars.com, 240z.org, fairlady, 240, 260, 280, nissan, 240 z, 260 z, 280 z, zx, turbo, classic z, 280z cars, cars 240z, car forums, datsun, nissan, cars datsun, car club, 280zx, car, nissan zcar, classic z car,performance,300zx, car years, car raced, texas 350z, 300z, 350z, nissan racing , clubs car, zcca, club datsun
×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.