IGNORED

SS Bumpers from Vietnam

This organization posted to the Datsun 240Z Classifieds page on FB yesterday.  Does anyone have experience with their products?  In addition to the pictured stainless steel 240Z bumpers with rubber strips, they also offer the bumper without rubber (and the holes) per an email exchange I had with them.  Looking for some feedback on quality and fit.

Thanks,

Jim

http://bumperautomobile.com/

I have these

https://groupharrington.com/product/datsun-240z-and-260z-bumpers/

and they were terrific. Still look great. They were being manufactured in either Thialand or Vietnam IIRC so maybe these from bumperauto are from the same place?

Just looked closer, the rear is a three piece like the stocker, the groupharrington rear is one piece.  What price did they quote? The GH is on sale for 816 brit pounds.

Edited by zKars
  • Like 1

My two cents for what its worth. I purchased a set of stainless steel (Harrington) for my 72 without holes. I was happy for about a year and then found that they were subject to scratching and minor scrapes. Polishing was not easy and expensive to send out to professionals. I finally gave up and bit the bullet to have a set chromed. So much less upkeep and better looking.

Has anyone found a good source for Re-chroming that is not out of the world expensive?  I have two sets I'd like to get done.  I found only one place in FL that would do it and it was out of the world expensive from memory.

I just called the only place I know, front bumper is $400, rear is $600 ( charge for each piece) Bumperettes are $110 each!

Edited by JSM

1 hour ago, JSM said:

Has anyone found a good source for Re-chroming that is not out of the world expensive?  I have two sets I'd like to get done.  I found only one place in FL that would do it and it was out of the world expensive from memory.

I just called the only place I know, front bumper is $400, rear is $600 ( charge for each piece) Bumperettes are $110 each!

Finding a shop to rechrome bumpers is an adventure.  Not many shops left and prices reflect the lack of competition.  Years ago, I had the bumpers on my Avanti rechromed and took them around to a few shops to get estimates.  The first question was generally, "What car is that from?" like it would make a difference other than establishing rarity and jacking the price accordingly.  Then would come the lecture on their chrome versus the other guy's.

I ended up at Verne's in Los Angeles (now in Gardena https://www.yelp.com/biz/vernes-chrome-plating-gardena )

They did a great job..  When I walked in with the bumper, the counter guy said, "I see you have an Avanti.".  Depending on where you look for reviews, they now have a mixed bag, so not sure how their current work and prices are.  They used to have classic car and motorcycle parts shipped in from all over for rechroming.

Dennis

3 minutes ago, psdenno said:

Finding a shop to rechrome bumpers is an adventure.  Not many shops left and prices reflect the lack of competition.  Years ago, I had the bumpers on my Avanti rechromed and took them around to a few shops to get estimates.  The first question was generally, "What car is that from?" like it would make a difference other than establishing rarity and jacking the price accordingly.  Then would come the lecture on their chrome versus the other guy's.

I ended up at Verne's in Los Angeles (now in Gardena https://www.yelp.com/biz/vernes-chrome-plating-gardena )

They did a great job..  When I walked in with the bumper, the counter guy said, "I see you have an Avanti.".  Depending on where you look for reviews, they now have a mixed bag, so not sure how their current work and prices are.  They used to have classic car and motorcycle parts shipped in from all over for rechroming.

Dennis

At least you have options.  I called several places today for fun in FL and all closed.  The shops open, didn't do chroming and said call the place I already had.  The few folks I talked to said they were the best to go to, but also the most expensive.

It was interesting when I called the first shop.  She said, most have gone out of business due to a lack of demand, EPA regulations and lack of youth willing to learn the trade.  She said almost all of her employees are in their 50's.

8 hours ago, siteunseen said:

I buy a lot of SS bolts and every one from Lowes/China will attract to a magnet. Fastenal is my go to now, a few extra miles but true stainless.

Just because it's magnetic, doesn't mean it isn't stainless.  Some stainless is magnetic, and some is not. I don't remember the grade numbers offhand, but I suspect it comes down to cost and workability. The magnetic grades are easier to work with and probably cheaper. But the non-magnetic grades usually have better corrosion resistance. Some of them work harden just by looking at them wrong though and are a pain to form.