IGNORED

Restoration of "One-eighty-seven"

drpchuynh

4 hours ago, motorman7 said:

Yes, that was Genius!  I am very impressed.

Not that it matters, but I would recommend that you keep the entire system in tact and keep the air injectors on and the smog system operational.  I still have this on my '70 and it runs wonderfully, never any problems.  Unless you plan on racing the car, I would leave them on.   Also, I think it adds to the value of the car.

For what it's worth, I have always felt that if the owner had no problem removing the smog system from a car, what else has been modified or changed.  It's just the beginning.  When looking for a Z that I would purchase personally, I always look for the smog system.  If it's gone, I'm gone.

Before you say gone and gone don't overlook early cars from Canada and a few other countries that were non emissions and had no smog system. You might be missing out. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for the input everyone. I appreciate it very much. I have to make a correction to my initial claim that the car ran fine with the smog equipment in tact. Turns out the smog pump wasn't functional. So Rod stripped it down and rebuilt it with minor modifications.

Per Rod, "The green ones are left out along with the blades (green arrows) . The front and rear bearings (red arrow)  replaced and should last a lifetime.  So the pump looks stock and functioning just not pumping air." 

We've decided to go this route because I want #187 to be enjoy daily. I don't want the headaches of garaging her every few months of driving. Plus, it's an easy reversal if we want to revert back to stock. As it was explained to me, by rendering it nonfunctional, many issues relating to idling can be traced back to the carbs, "as all other vacuum leaks will be eliminated." And with Bruce having rebuilt the carbs, we don't foresee any problem in the foreseeable future. 

As a side note, I'm not too concern about resale of #187 as she will never go on the market so long as I'm alive. In fact, she might accompany me to the afterlife as I'll be buried in her. ?

So she started as a U.S. model and now has become Canadian 'eh'. ??

6399.jpeg

IMG_20180610_103536.jpg

6397.jpeg

Edited by drpchuynh
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...