IGNORED

Restoration of "One-eighty-seven"

drpchuynh

The original fan should be fine to run with.  Either way it is fine.  FYI Kats posted this photo which may be from 68 or 69 test car or dyno.  It looks like an early plastic fan from another application such as 510 or from a Cedric (with L24) that would predate the production metal fan application:

@kats @HS30-H may be able so share more.

L24wMikuni.jpg

Here is a Cedric engine with a similar fan:

cedric early l24.jpg

and an L20A with similar fan:

l20A.jpg

• Like 1

As for striping off the yellow zinc, he used this mag cleaner. In his words, "This was too easy. Etching mag wheel cleaner took the plating right off." He said he sprayed it on and let it sit for a few minutes before wiping it off. Many ways to skin a cat. 7621.jpeg

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Classic Zcar Club mobile

7 hours ago, 26th-Z said:

... and a black distributor cap for '69 build cars.  Also the contacts in the distributor cap are brass, not aluminum.

Actually I think I've come around to believing the cars originally came with the greenish color cap too.  Looking at the early photos of the red car's engine bay the cap looks green to me.  My 72 Fairlady Z-S has the original greenish cap and rotor with the Hitachi marks.  I also have a NOS black one.  Both have the aluminum contacts.  I think there may be a TSB that says that the early caps had brass contacts, so I could be wrong.  No one would ever see the contacts anyway.  I also recently bought some of the non-OEM green ones that 240260280 posted.  I think they are Mitsubishi brand .  Good quality and cheap so close enough for me.

20180610_085611.jpg

20180610_085838.jpg

20180610_091514.jpg

20180610_091509.jpg

20180610_091749.jpg

I'll leave the debate regarding the correct color of the caps alone and will say that I'm fortunate enough to have both options with the brass contacts. I haven't seen too many bluish green ones so I'll go with that.

Revisiting the clamps. Rod was able to make quick work of them. In addition to the clamps, he found this rubber cap (green arrow) in his stockpile. These rubber cap are soft and pliable, similar to the rubber boots you find on the bases of the windshield wipers and those covering battery terminals. Unfortunately "the heat in the engine bay dries them out and they crack and fall out so you don't see them too often." What function it serves, he isn't clear. Maybe someone can speak to its necessity. Can't see Datsun engineering a piece like that if it doesn't serve a purpose, good or bad. IMG_20180721_083146.jpg

Rod currently has #503 in his garage. He just sent me a picture of the distributor cap that's in there. Owner claims it's original to the car. Take it for what it's worth.

In a couple of weeks, the sister car (#502) will come to his place for work. He'll snap a picture of that one too. IMG_20180721_091017.jpg

• Like 1

9 hours ago, drpchuynh said:

he found this rubber cap (green arrow) in his stockpile. What function it serves, isn't clear.

That rubber cap simply covers the adjustment screw for the throttle opener regulator. On the radiator end of that device there is an adjustment screw* to control the setpoint at what differential vacuum (manifold - atmospheric) the throttle opener pulls on the throttle linkage.

* At least there is on later years... I don't know if such an adjustment was brought out to the user on such an early car.

5 hours ago, motorman7 said:

I noticed that you don't have the fuel lines in yet.  If you are interested, I think this hose is the closest to the original style of fuel hose that I have found.  I now use this on all of my restorations.

https://newcoproducts.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=34_44_304&product_id=191

Do you know off hand if it is cleared for fuel injection systems?  It certainly looks like it but it doesn't mention that in the link.

On 7/22/2018 at 10:10 AM, motorman7 said:

I noticed that you don't have the fuel lines in yet.  If you are interested, I think this hose is the closest to the original style of fuel hose that I have found.  I now use this on all of my restorations.

https://newcoproducts.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=34_44_304&product_id=191

Thanks Rich!  I'll pass that along.

On 7/21/2018 at 7:06 PM, Captain Obvious said:

That rubber cap simply covers the adjustment screw for the throttle opener regulator. On the radiator end of that device there is an adjustment screw* to control the setpoint at what differential vacuum (manifold - atmospheric) the throttle opener pulls on the throttle linkage.

* At least there is on later years... I don't know if such an adjustment was brought out to the user on such an early car.

Thanks Capt! I'll check with Rod to see if there is an adjustment screw. 

18 hours ago, grannyknot said:

Do you know off hand if it is cleared for fuel injection systems?  It certainly looks like it but it doesn't mention that in the link.

I do not know.  I am surprised that they only give a temp rating and no pressure rating.