IGNORED

Where to go with this rusthole

Elliott000

If it is a very visible area then a butt would be prettier but it does come with a bit more risk and it will take longer with more care to make it look like it was never repaired. I find butt welding new sheet metal to old to be tricky some times as the old metal wants blow holes, in that case I start the weld on the new side and drag the bead to the old side, that helps prevent it.  Laps welds I love, fast, easy, strong and if you are recreating a stock flange you can drill holes in the flange and plug weld for a good spot weld lookalike.

You can also start with a lap joint but just tack welded then run a thin cutoff wheel down the center of the lap, remove the off cuts and have a very consistent distance between the panels and that makes butt welding much easier.

WE WANT PICS LOL

• Like 1

I'll post pics up. I'll probably get the new one started on Tuesday. Got appointments with my kid tomorrow on my day off. It's a real struggle now, do I go fishing, work on car go 4x4ing or play a new Xbox game that just came out hahahah

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk

Fitted the patch and put the door in temporary to check. Everything lines up pretty good. Im thinkin tomorrow is cut n tack day! Nervous but what the Hell eh haha. There is a slight not dent but wave, on on spot ot the original. Right where the previous flares were riveted in in one spot. I'll see how she goes and deal with it once things are stitched together. Worst case... Bondo. I post a b4 and after tomorrow. The crease in the dog leg is sharp wherr as the rocker is a gentler bend. I'll have to dress that a bit with a hammer try and shrink it. The factory side lower door edge is actually more similar to the sharper finish of the quarter patch. I'll probably settle some where in between 20181029_191401.jpeg20181029_191429.jpeg

grannyknot! i have one ha ha i just forget to attach it. ill do that tonight, good eye. Considering they are my first patch panels i cant truly comment but in terms of this job the seem decent. needed some flexing so it laid nice against the original. also the creases arent as sharp as factory and the body line under the gas tank filler is hardly there. I creased it a bit but couldnt go much past the back third. ill try and recreate it a bit on the door side with filler i guess

• Like 1

Any advice on shaving the bumper reliefs? Pack it full of bondo like I've seen online ha, i was thinkin just cut and fill with sheet metal not worrying about body curve as the skim coat can be formed over it and shaped. Would probably end up being like 3/16 thick or so at worst spot near patch panel20181030_185001.jpeg

My first thought was cut and fill, but then I thought about it. Do you really have to cut it out first. Maybe you could just strip the area of paint and filler. Treat the rust, then weld a panel in flush with the quarter. If it ever became necessary to reverse the procedure, most of the metal would still be in place. Plus the edges of the relief will help prevent warping.

• Like 1

I noticed on the driverside that's been striped to bare metal for a while it's getting a bit of rust coloring happening. Since I still have work to do on that side should I just clean it up, then spray bomb on some primer. Just so it's covered? Cars in my garage, it's not heated and does get cold so it's will have moist air but not actually see any condensation or anything.

Or the other option is strip it to bare metal, the whole body and spray the epoxy primer then just clean away what i need to in areas ill do work.