IGNORED

Where to go with this rusthole

Elliott000

• 2 months later...

Any of u guys familiar with tabco panels? I just ordered the rockers but need to cut the quarters up some aswell. I can't afford the quarters right now but I want to know if they have the fold on em into the door jamb or is it just a cut edge?

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk

Tabco panels are a mixed bag, and will need a little bit of work at a minimum, or at the worst, they're basically junk (rear lower quarter corners). The rockers seem to have an issue with the step down (for lack of a better term) where the rocker meets the fender tends to have a split in it that you'll need to weld up.

• Like 1

Good to know. I don't mind a bit of Tom ****ery to make it work. Rockers should be here soon so we shall see. I am a bit nervous about the quarter repair tho. I basically need thier panel but right down to the bottom. Now I have to buy that little bottom peice someday to finish it off. Maybe I can find a guy locally cutting up a car, ill keep my eyes peeled online.

10 hours ago, Elliott000 said:

I am a bit nervous about the quarter repair tho. I basically need thier panel but right down to the bottom.

This photo may help you understand the details for the Tabco rear-quarter patch panels.  Unfortunately, it doesn't answer your specific question, because the door jamb edge can't be seen on either panel.  Looks like they may be difficult to integrate properly unless you also replace the outer wheel housings (also shown in the photo) so as to get a decent bonding/sealing surface around the lip.  The four pieces will probably cost Cdn $800 - $1000 after you've paid for shipping, tax, duties, etc.

S30 - Rust Repair - Rear Wheel Arch - Tabco inner & outer wheel well panels 2a.jpg

Edited by Namerow
further comment added

18 hours ago, rturbo 930 said:

Tabco panels are a mixed bag, and will need a little bit of work at a minimum, or at the worst, they're basically junk (rear lower quarter corners). The rockers seem to have an issue with the step down (for lack of a better term) where the rocker meets the fender tends to have a split in it that you'll need to weld up.

Exactly ^  but Tabco's rear deck plate for the hatch is a drop in and weld. But what are going to do, they are the only game in town.

Pretty sure I found a shot of the tabco quarters with the fold. They tie in to the jam like factory which is good. Only pain will be the long welds.... Body work practice is in order. Patience and cool each tack I guess! default_laugh.png

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Been awhile since I've posted about the "rust hole" I've finished the front frame rebuild and re attached the inner fenders Nad bow I move back onto the rockers and completing the floors. Which brings me to this, inner rocker around what I assume is the seatbelt bracket is toast but only. On the bottom, should I just cut off the rot on the bottom in the picture and rebuild with some hand made pieces. It appears there's about three layers total here. Inner, outer and then dog leg. Front is a similar situation. It's almost overwhelming but that's cuz I'm new i guess ha. 20180827_141633.jpeg20180827_141729.jpeg1535404947330.jpeg

Kudos for three of the best pictures I've seen that show the challenge of repairing the Z dogleg.  This seems to be the single most important and consistent repair area for a Z and yet no  one manufactures a repair panel kit to address the problem.  If these were Alfas or Porsches, someone would be making the kit.  Disepsyon is a very talented guy, but he's not interested in making 100+ repair kits.  We really need someone like MSA or ZCar Depot to step up here.

• Like 1

I spoke with dispeyon a while back. Guys got talent for sure. In terms of the middle piece at the front that I've cut off I'm just gunna form a sheet metal patch minus the holes. The challenge I have in my mind is recreation of that lower sill/pinch weld area. Part of me wants to forgo the triple deal and just use a thicker guage under the seatbelt bolt hole and then tie the already heavier guage tabco rockers into er. Either way, I think it will be stronger. I generally don't make things less than before ha