IGNORED

New head install question

7tooZ

Beginning the installation of a different head (E31) on my 72 stock engine. 

Are new head bolts a good idea? Non turbo or Turbo? Where would you buy them?

Are new studs better than new bolts? 

Where to acquire the timing chain wedge?

Other recommendations are a[appreciated

Don.

New timing bolts are peace of mind.

Turbo bolts are stronger though not needed for stock applications.

Arp studs are strongest and overkill for stock application.

You can make timing wedge from a non-splintery piece of wood.  I saw a nice plastic table saw push stick at HF that could be shaped to do the trick:

https://www.harborfreight.com/push-stick-33279.html

I think the new head bolts are turbo bolts. It's a good idea to put new bolts in but I have re-used them. I don't think that the ARP studs cost too much more than the stock bolts. I use the ARP studs on the race engines and it's nice to not have to buy new bolts or worry if the used ones will hold up. I use a piece of wood to hold the timing chain. It's been working for almost 30 years!

Chuck

I always use the copper coat on the head gaskets.  It's recommended by Les Canaday who does a lot of racing with these motors.  Also Make sure the threads in the block are clean (compressed air) and the threads on the bolts are clean (when re-using the bolts).  I usually wire wheel the bolt threads and then use a lubricant for the install to help reduce galling.

Edited by motorman7

I would say it more of piece of mind for new head bolts, I’ve reused bolts several times with no issues. Rebello doesn’t even use studs on his engines , he says Nissan head bolts are just fine. I would not recommend using studs . 

Just make sure you get everything clean on the block surface . No break in is necessary with that head

Edited by madkaw

• 2 weeks later...