IGNORED

74 260z Looking for NY Tri-State Shop

jdmfairlady21

Hi guys. 

Been a lurker here forever! Picked up a 74 last summer and haven’t had the time to sort it out. 

Anyone recommend a tech or mechanic in the LI or metro NY area? 

Car came with triple webbers but seem to be wired up or lined up wrong. If you spray starter fluid, she fires up and sounds pretty damn good. But the throttle and the choke seemed to have been routed at the same line by the previous owner ??. 

I own a business and really have not had any time to just sort out the damn thing. Any direction to a trustworthy guy that can take this job on would be much appreciated. 

-Alex 

Thanks guys I’ll check R&R out with a call and ask around the CT club as well. 

Not so concerned about body work and whatnot. Just really want the car running. I’m sure my Z needs a lot more work, but really need someone to reroute the throttle and choke cable and triple check the carbs just so I can drive around in this thing a little for the summer. I own a high performance nissan / infiniti  shop and personally do all the tuning on my in house dyno. But this might be a little too predated for me and my techs to tackle for the time being LOL   I’ve got 6 engine builds for twin turbo Z34s that all need to be done by May ??‍♂️  but now have got the serious itch about getting this classic running. 

The L26 was overhauled and bored out by previous owner and I’ve compression checked etc already. 

Here’s a pic of the said car; when it was being loaded on trailer from Georgia to bring to me in NY. 

Thanks again gents!

0EB054AA-787B-4C70-8B36-52482030A2D4.jpeg

• Like 1

23 hours ago, jdmfairlady21 said:

But this might be a little too predated for me and my techs to tackle

Haha! So you need an old guy with Weber experience. I'd give you a hand, but it'd be blind leading the blind as I've never touched the Webers.

Car looks cool. Hope you can get her sorted before the driving season!

• Like 1

So it sounds like jdmfairlady21 just needs to limp it to Zcon near you and he'll have all the help he needs!

I think I'm capable of learning them, but I've never messed with them. And learning on the fly on someone else's car while they watch isn't my idea of a recipe for success. Put a set of round tops or even flat tops on that 74, and I'm all over it.   :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Might post this pic up on the more technical side of the forums...

the shiny new stainless steel line is the “choke” that the previous owner did. But upon further inspection, it’s literally routed with the throttle cable, so you pull the choke and it will pedal the throttle and vice versus ? 

E50C2526-34EF-4044-9063-97BF2C36ADDC.jpeg

2 hours ago, Captain Obvious said:

Wish I knew more about the Webers. Do the Webers even HAVE a real choke system? @240260280 would know. He's spent a bunch of time on them.

No,

Some have  have a second "mini carburettor"  that feeds air and gas directly into the manifold in parallel with the main throats... very over kill.

Most just pump the pedal for a few squirts of raw gas from the accelerator circuit before cranking in cold weather.